• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Dave Stephens

Powning/Stephens Collaboration: Chilblain (Huge Fantasy Sword)

All:

I feel extremely honored that my friend Jake Powning has asked me to collaborate with him on the making of a sword.

Behold Jake's design: Chilblain.

Chilblain5.jpg

This is a HUGE sword. 48" from tip to pommel.

I'll let Jake speak to the design elements, if he'd like, when he has a moment to comment. Like all things Powning, the design elements are very deliberate and thoughtful.

My job is making the blade.

This will require a lot of PW steel. This is especially true because it's a FULL TANG sword.

Makes me wish I was in Ric Furrer's shop for a week.

I plan to construct the blade in a type of san mai construction similar to what I did on my collaboration with Petr: A high density middle bar (800-1000 layers) sandwiched between two lower layer bars. I'll also be adding a highlight layer between the bars to highlight the simulated hamon that the pattern gives. I hope it gives the blade the look as if it's crackling with mystical dark energies.

To a achieve a slightly darker blend, I might go with a 1095/1080/15n20 mix rather than my standard 1095/15n20. I don't know. I shall have to experiment.

When I decided to get back into bladesmithing after a many year hiatus, I found Don's forum (this one, for new people). The thread that inspired me the most to take up the quest again was Jake and Uli's epic collaboration, The Black UlJake. So this collaboration is especially meaningful to me.

This will take a while. It's a big project, and I won't hand it off to Jake until it's done right (which may take some re-do's). I imagine this will take 6 months or more.

Photos along the way, some video too.

Psyched about this one.

Dave

I am definitely following this one!

Grats man... and I will be waiting with great anticipation!

-Gabriel

• Like 1

I'll be watching with interest, but what is going on with the name?

Chillblains are itchy feet you get from going to the outhouse without your slippers on when it is very cold (yes, I grew up in the "Old Days").

Not as martial as it could be!

I'm totally in love with Jake's sketch. The dark vibe to the recent stuff he's been putting out lately is incredible, and based on your collab with Petr, the blade will be nothing short of brilliant! I'll be raising a glass to you both, this will be a pleasure to watch unfold. Videos are most welcome B)

John

Well hell yeah! that sounds like a great undertaking. Looking forward to this one, for sure. Heat treating that monster is going to be a challenge. You certainly have the skills, but this one will be a workout.

It is going to be great. I am intrigued by the name, too.

keep us posted. looking forward,

kc

THE thread to watch. (That along with Tom and Geoffs.) I am very much looking forward to seeing this, especially since it has a passing resemblance to the Father's sword from Conan the Barbarian.

Can't wait! I'm super excited to see this. Taking your time? Don't eat! Don't sleep! Breath between heats! :lol:

On a more serious note, I really like the skulls, and it will surely have a great story to go with it.

This is a very exciting project and I think it will be a marvellous sword. I will closely follow

Same here. B)

Oh, you guys will have fun with this!
And I will greatly enjoy watching :-)

Epic craft adventure about to unfold.

Just the thing to spread sparks of inspiration.

I like it , and hope to be suitably scared by the result.

Dark fantasy .....dark Magic...............Dark Beer?

I'm really excited about this project!

The idea behind the design is that this sword is an artifact of the old ones, from H.P.Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, stolen from its maddening temple by a hardy barbarian from the steps of Eurasia (so the reference to Conan is intentional). The Skull on the guard is based on dwarf elephant skulls found in Cyprus which may have originated the cyclops myth (cyclops were the weaponsmiths to the Greek gods in some versions of the myths) but in this case it represents Chthulhu the tentacle faced demon. The cavity in the center of the skull is a nasal cavity so that it can breath through some of its tentacles.

I drew some pictures of the nomadic tribesman before and after stealing the sword -

Here he is climbing in the window of the temple, braving the blistering discord the city he found in the Ural Mountains wakes in his mind.

templethief.jpg

Here he wields the sword. Chilblain he called it— the only word he could think of to describe the sense of swollen wrongness his entire being experienced as an after effect of having endured the city, and the temple, to steal the demon sword.

Chilblaine1.jpg

I've been reading about Genghis Khan recently, maybe it was he who stole the sword and used it to establish the largest contiguous empire in the history of the world, before it was reclaimed by its masters...we may never know. ;)

I've been wanting to make a purely fantastical sword for a while and I'm really grateful that Dave is willing to take on the blade. This is going to be fun!

Oh, I have prints of these drawing on my society6 page if you're interested in having a copy :)http://society6.com/jakepowning/prints

Edited by Jake Powning

Cool! The quillions make me think... Antler Fight! ;)

this will be an awesome blade, good luck to the both of you with pulling off something this large and epic

Ha- pinned in anticipation... no pressure. Dave, the ball is in your court! You are going to love this. Hope the efficiency karma is with you, and you don't have to remake the blade a few times to get it where you want it. Of course, we will all watch with delight (and wish the best)!

kc

Nothing too exciting, but I wanted to report on progress.

1.JPG

The start. 30 layers of 15n20/1095

2.JPG

2.JPG

Drawing

4.JPG

Drawn out to about 30"

5.JPG

Marked for chopping.

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Drawn out again to 28 inches and ready to chop in half. These two bars @ 210 layers will the the outer layers of the san mai type construction.

9.JPG

Bars chopped and marked. The core billet of 20 layers ready to begin the process of bringing it up to around 800 layers.

More when I have it.

Dave

3.JPG

• Like 1

It does me good to see scale on your shop floor, I've never seen your shop in any state but immaculate!

It does me good to see scale on your shop floor, I've never seen your shop in any state but immaculate!

Me too. Every time I build something I think to myself, "It will never be this clean, ever again." I don't know how you keep your shop so clean!

Any progress is exciting! Especially with that press and fancy rolling mill of yours :rolleyes: Would have taken me the better part of a week to do that much drawing!