Dave Stephens

Powning/Stephens Collaboration: Chilblain (Huge Fantasy Sword)

The illustration of the sword looks great. cant wait to see this when its done.

also makes me think a bit of Conan the Barbarian as Wes said.

gona make us all look bad haha.

Good luck Guys !

Looking good Dave. Id push that chair away from the Anvil when hammering :mellow:

Tell me how is that 15N20 to work with?

Oh man oh man oh man ohmanohmanohman! This is gonna be soooooo cool! :D

First detail I noticed was the tentacle-ey scrolls on the handle and I thought it looked a bit Mythos. And then I look further and see I was right.

Looking forward to seeing what you artistic fellows come up with.

Really enjoying this, Dave. Thank you for taking the time to document this sword coming to life!

Ah ha! This is what you've been up to! This looks amazing. I've always been a fan of Lovecraft, so the "history" of this sword is way cool to me.

Carry on, sirs!

If only my smithy had windows...

Looking forward to more posts, Dave!

At last I can comment, electronic meltdown, ( the joys of. Living in Africa!) Cool project, and waiting in anticipaaaaaation! Get on with it lad! I have little patience! Love these projects!

Apologies for the delay guys. I had to stop and order materials to re-line my forge.

Have just got back from a 10 day business trip. Should be posting some progress this weekend (but it'll just be more black bars of steel n' stuff).

Grins,

Dave

This is going to be great! i cant wait to see it turn out.

Very very interesting to see this sword, i wish this will be superb sword.

intersting to see heating it

At 48 inches long that'll be over six inches wide at its widest point. A lot of steel! Beautiful design and great project. Will be exiting to watch this one come to life.

Edited by Shane Harvey

At 48 inches long that'll be over six inches wide at its widest point. A lot of steel! Beautiful design and great project. Will be exiting to watch this one come to life.

I know . . .right?!

I'm building a new spreader die on my press so I can get the base wide enough.

Definitely the most challenging blade I've attempted. No guarantee that I'll succeed on the first try. Just a guarantee that I'll get it done eventually!

Grins,

Dave

Oh boy! let's do this fellas!!

Brief update (still just some boring steel making going on, but wanted to report that progress is still being made).

IMG_2100.JPG

Core billet welded at 20 layers, drawn out and ready to cut into 10 chunks.

IMG_2124.JPG

200 layer result heating up in forge.

Next step is to cut into 4 chunks to achieve the desired 800 layer core.

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

But first! Jake's design is 6" wide at the base! I must build a new spreader die for my press. Spent an hour or so sawing this 1.5" cylinder of steel in half.

More soon!

Dave

Nice!
I've cut a piece of round close to that size before, except it was hardened 4140, and I was using a hacksaw, not fun. :blink:

yarrr!

Ah, that design is just so slick and perfect! My taste!

watching with excitement! my stepson is, too!

:D

Sorry for the long delay in production guys. I'm in Alaska overseeing the construction of my new house. I won't be back to the shop in FL for a few weeks.

Fear not, however, this sword will get made!

Dave

Update:

The (5) billets of PW are done and now it's time to weld them all together and draw out the bar to 49" . . .

I converted Jake's sketch into an adobe Illustrator file, which was then coverted to CAD. I sent the CAD file to a lasercutting shop and had them cut me a template out of 1/4" aluminum. So, now I have a rigid, precise, 2D template to assist in profiling the blade. The shot of me holding the template gives you some idea of how big this sword will be.

1-dave.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

Finally, I wanted to do a small test section of pattern weld so I could make sure it achieved the desired effect. I chopped off a 1.5" section of each of the 5 elements and welded them up.

I also wanted to test the variation of the weld line (enhanced with the 15n20 strip) based on hammering in the bevel, or grinding the bevel.

This is the result. The edge on the left is the hammered bevel, the right was left at full thickness and had the edge ground in. After consulting with Jake I'll be doing a partial hammered bevel to strike a middle ground between these two presentations.

I'm very pleased with the chatoyance on the steel. Those are 220 grit, smooth sanded bevels. The topography is just a trick of the chatoyance. Very shimmery in person.

200 layer on top, 1/16" strip of 15n20, 800 layer in the center, same on the other side.

IMG_3087.JPG

I'm a bit paranoid I might not have enough material (it would suck to draw this out and have it come up a few inches short), so I'm going to make just one more billet of 200 layer to add to the outer edge material.

More when I have it. Thanks for looking in.

Dave

• Like 1

That is looking great! The scale of this piece will really be fantastic, and the teaser of the pattern is very exciting indeed :)

That is freaking majestic. B)

Will you be adding a 15n20 strip into the sword, like you did in the test piece? That would be really cool, but I think it would be better to use a thinner strip... Just a thought.

This is epic ... Show off ;)

Love the pattern test such a great look!

Damn, Dave, that's gonna be huge!