Dave Stephens

Powning/Stephens Collaboration: Chilblain (Huge Fantasy Sword)

:o That thing is huge! I know it was going to be large and all, but that's something else entirely! Based on the test piece, that's going to be one gorgeous sword no doubt about it. Can't wait to see the steel take its final form!

John

Very bronze age in shape (type Ci rapier) :)

Yes, I think so too. Recently I was in Cologne at the national museum and had the chance to view a lot of bronze age swords. I think that the bronze age blade shapes have heavily influenced a lot of fantasy pieces, especially the leaf blades in Tolkien.

This is Jake's design, of course, so I'm not sure how deliberate the echoes of the bronze age are in Chilblain. However, Jake is a serious student of that era, so I'm sure nothing is done by accident.

Dave

Good lord that thing is mighty! That steel though, honestly, is amazing looking. It almost looks like a pond in a rainstorm. Amazing work.

The pattern in the Steel is truly hypnotic I can just keep staring and staring at it. This is truly awesomely massive, can't wait to see more progress.

That thing is monstrous! In all the best ways. :D

I'd just like to say that I believe the above photo showing Dave in an office with the sword blank has been Photoshopped. We all know that you actually made that in your castle-forge in Northland Dave.

Proof.

davewswrd5.jpg

Edited by Jake Powning
  • Like 6

I'd just like to say that I believe the above photo showing Dave in an office with the sword blank has been Photoshopped. We all know that you actually made that in your castle-forge in Northland Dave.

Proof.

attachicon.gifdavewswrd5.jpg

Yes, now THIS I can believe!

Shhh! I have to keep up the appearances of actually doing my job, Jake!

Grins,

Dave

nice work jake! ...preserving history the way it should have been (and will be someday) ^__^

• Like 1

OK, so I came a little late to the game, but it's looking like a great post to click the old "Follow" button for. Love the design, and the piece of "test" steel is awesome. At first glance I liked the ground in side, but after you said that the topography was an optical illusion caused bt the chatoyance, I was hooked on the hammered side. Anything that looks that lumpy and is 220 grit smooth is magical (and that's what you are after, no?)

The only other thing I noticed was this: "I'm in Alaska overseeing the construction of my new house. I won't be back to the shop in FL for a few weeks."

Living in FL and moving to Alaska.......things that make you go Hmmm.

Josh -- Yeah, I spend a lot of time on airplanes . . . It's for my job. I'm 1/2 time in FL and 1/2 time in AK.

• Like 1

Josh -- Yeah, I spend a lot of time on airplanes . . . It's for my job. I'm 1/2 time in FL and 1/2 time in AK.

thats wild,i never been on a plane!What do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking.

thats wild,i never been on a plane!What do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking.

Unfortunately, nothing that has anything to do with bladesmithing.

I'll have an update on this project next week.

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 1

I'm pretty new here, and am enjoying looking at all the works. Has there been any update to this piece? Looking great on last update!

Guys:

Thanks for the continued interest.

This project has been shelved until I'm done with the Arctic Fire 2016 blade on which I'm working.

But! Rest assured, the blade will be made! It's too cool not to live.

My guess is that you'll see another update in August, and a finished blade before Christmas 2016.

I'm not a full-time maker, so I have to fit the craft in between the job and the family.

Since I now have a shop in AK as well as FL (I'm two weeks in each place every month), my production will get a bit better, however.

Cheers!

Dave

I hope you never leave a tool or project In Florida and need it in Alaska ha, or vis versa

Edited by Kenon Rain.

I hope you never leave a tool or project In Florida and need it in Alaska ha, or vis versa

Happens constantly.

I still check this thread every week or so hoping for an update. This project hasn't been permanently shelved has it?

On 1/3/2017 at 1:16 AM, Worth Baker said:

I still check this thread every week or so hoping for an update. This project hasn't been permanently shelved has it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcU_obSV_n4:)

Edited by Joshua States
new video link
  • Like 1