Dave Stephens

The Joy of a Simple Knife: PW Chef's Knife

I've been doing large projects for so long, that I'd forgotten how much fun it is to simply make a simple knife.

I was in the kitchen chopping vegetables complaining about the knife I was using and realized I literally didn't have a single knife in the kitchen made by me. The irony hung thick in the air for a moment, and then I went to the shop.

I had a bit of steel left over from my collab w/ Petr, so . . . 3 evenings of relatively pleasant work in the shop later: A knife.

Cheers!

Dave

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

that might honestly be my favourite thing of yours I've seen... I'm about to make a couple of chef's knives and a filleting knife with a very similar handle style.

Yeah, the steel is much more visible than in Skype screen :-) . it looks awesome. I almost exclusively use European wood, but I may live with cocobolo, looks nice

Using your own kitchen knives is a must. good job.

Beautiful, although simple isn't how I'd describe it ;)

It looks quite comfortable to use, you'll have to let us know how it works! I think that slight swell to the belly of the handle is what I've been missing recently. Not bad for three days in the shop, even if it's a cutoff of the other blade!

This is a beautiful blade Dave, and really fantastic wood to cap it off! Awesome job :)

Very nice! I especially like the accentuating curves where the handle meets the blade, instead of the handle abrubtly ending so the shape conflicts the rest.

"The irony hung thick in the air"
It's like goldy or bronzy, only it's made out of iron...should get me some of that, looks like it makes good knives.

Edited by Steffen Dahlberg

Dave, awesome the Damascus and the the handle go very well together. I love the handle, the grain, and the style of the handle really set the knife off! Simple eh, me thinks you do under-rate this knife! clap.gif