European Armor

Although not directly related to the sharp pointy objects we craft here on this site, I found this post to be fascinating. The amount of detail and work put into these suits of armor baffles me, especially given the tools of their time. It really humbles me to say the least. This is originally from http://imgur.com/gallery/KPTJU (posted by CATYGUR), however there are quite a few pictures so I'll only post some of the ones I found amazing.

"Medieval English, displayed at the Museum of Ethnology, Vienna"

9fpyobE.jpg

"Milanese armor, c. 1500-1550"

ztMWAoT.jpg

"15th Century German Gothic Armour which armors the armpits with articulated plates instead of chainmaille or a rondel."

SPeXU1o.jpg

I've got to say, this one takes the cake for me. This gauntlet is beautiful.

"The Golden Gauntlet, Henri III of France’s armour (details), c.1550"

pXXCWrW.jpg

"Field armour of William Somerset, earl of Worcester, about 1570"

2CAaYHO.jpg

They are really beautiful, I like the German engineering on the third pic. That suit is less gilded, and looks intimidating, like it was made for straight up combat.

What is amazing is that they were able to do this with the steel that they had at the time.

Being wrought steel, or blister, to get that degree of relief and detail in the repousee, or even to get the requisite sized sheets, no splitting or delaminating; just crazy!

It's come up at least once before, but if you like this, dig up a copy of... Hey, it's available digitally!

Heroic Armor of the Italian Renaissance: Filippo Negroli and His Contemporaries:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=PteVlrlhy9YC&printsec=frontcover&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Still glad I own this, but very well worth a look. I wish they went into a little more technical detail, but, well, you can't have everything.

Theres a German style sallet in that book that belonged to a Burgundian noblemen named Philip "The Handsome", that's a fantastic name.

• 2 weeks later...

It's come up at least once before, but if you like this, dig up a copy of... Hey, it's available digitally!

Heroic Armor of the Italian Renaissance: Filippo Negroli and His Contemporaries:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=PteVlrlhy9YC&printsec=frontcover&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Still glad I own this, but very well worth a look. I wish they went into a little more technical detail, but, well, you can't have everything.

Thank you,very interesting book.