Has anyone used ecopoxy?

I want to make some glow in the dark scales. The cheapest epoxy I've found is EcoPoxy. It was recommended to me by a furniture maker who says it's far better than any other epoxy he's used.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? If so, which have you used. Would you recommend it?

Two warning lights on this. One it's the cheapest epoxy that you've found. You usually get what you pay for. It was recommended to you by a furniture maker. Their needs are different from ours. They aren't producing anything that needs water proof glue to hold the joints. For gluing handle scales to a tang I would recommend a water proof epoxy like the West system or Acraglas bedding compound.

Doug

Google "Glue Wars" !!!!!!!!!

If you're talking about the testing that was done on Blade Forums on different adhesives for knife scales, the original "Glue Wars" thread and testing was found to be completely invalid, because of the cleaner that was used before applying the adhesives, as they discovered in this thread. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/338598-Shocking-Glue-Wars-discovery However I think there were more tests done later, but I haven't read about them yet.

Edited by Collin Miller

I have never used EcoPoxy, nor read of anyone else using it on blades.

Generally, this is another one of those topics everyone gets hung up on. Some people swear by Devcon, others by G Flex or JB weld...

I definitely believe there are superior formulas, but I don't think there is "The One to Rule them All " so to speak. I've used Loctite's Industrial grade epoxy for several years with good results. The point is, don't get pulled in all directions trying to find the best epoxy and lose valuable time you could be spending making blades. Buy a reputable brand, and as long as your knives aren't intended for extremely harsh abuse, the bond will be more than adequate.

I've not used it myself, but a friend made a crazy bathroom floor with it by pouring it over hundreds of pennies :blink: . Sticks well to metal, apparently...probably worth a try. I'm a Devcon fan, usually.

just digging up some numbers real quick it looks like ecopoxy is 3.68 an oz with shipping from there own website for there 17 oz kit

gfelx from amazon is 3.43 an oz with shiping for an 8 oz kit and larger bottles should save even more it might not be quite the deal your looking for

Did some looking and the big selling point fro ecopoxy seems to be that it uses some product from soybean oil instead of petroleum. There are some boat builders that state they've used it with good results. It's reported to have less odor than traditional epoxy.

Likely works, may or may not be better for the environment than other epoxies.