Should I buy 330lb of 15n20 sheet for 135$? It's all clean new material, some of it with the steel producer name on it (uddeholm). Kind of a no brainer score I guess, the only trick to it is its all in foot wide 4ft strip so I'll need to cut it down by hand or plasma and clean up the edges.

(40c per lb)

Can you have carbon steel sheared without knowing if it is annealed?

Edited by Kenon Rain.

I have not idea how much per pound, but a single 48" long bar of .095" thick by 6" wide bar of 15n20 is over $60 on a very popular bladesmith steel vendor's site. That can't be more than a few pounds.

Holy smokes!

They're 3-4 bucks a sheet I think for twice that width.

I'll pick em up when I get paid :)

If there is any interest I can sell some of it, there is more than I'm realistically going to use in the next 5 years ha. It's all the negatives from bandsaw blade production, some with the cutouts on the edge and most without

Shoot if it is what you say it is I wouldn't wait another second! Uddeholm has a good reputation, and just as Dave pointed out you have hit on a heck of a value. I'd be more than happy to buy some of this from you!

I think it's safe to say... You would have a very easy time on this site selling it!

I know I would buy some!

My retail on that here would be in the range of 1800 bucks, so yeah, I would say it's a score.

:0)

If it has no teeth on it, it's annealed, it's bandsaw stock.

Uddleholm and Sandvik are the main producers, both exceptionally high quality makers of 15n20

My advice would be to have it sheared in strips off of the long edges, as opposed to across the 12 width. This steel is verry agressively rolled and reduced in the steel mill and it'll have a "grain" orientated with the length of the strip.

It should shear without any issues.

Awesome score man! Congrats, 15n20 is a great steel.

I have not idea how much per pound, but a single 48" long bar of .095" thick by 6" wide bar of 15n20 is over $60 on a very popular bladesmith steel vendor's site. That can't be more than a few pounds.

I generally ball-park the density of steels like this at 0.283 lb/in3, so 48 x 6 x .095 x .283 ≈ 7.75 pounds. That makes it about $7.75/lb ($60/7.75lb) there vs Kenon's $100/714lb being $0.14/lb. Score indeed!

Awesome! I'm interested in buying some from you too, I was just looking at 15n20 from Aldo. Now we can find some 1084 for the same price. :D

Edited by Collin Miller

Well, ended up being 40 cents a pound, but don't really care ha.. bought 350lb, and will be able to get another 500lb or so in 3 months of clean stock, had to pick through this and get the more or less rust free pieces.

Going to steel wool the little surface rust that is on the few pieces that have it off and blast it all with wd40 to preserve it!2015-03-04 14.14.54.jpg

Edited by Kenon Rain.

Not sure how possible this is, but could you call the company and ask for info on that batch? It seems like there is possibly enough info on there such as lot #'s, etc that maybe they could give you the most correct info. I've never tried to contact a large scale supplier so don't know how helpful it could be.

That's a steal! If you do wind upwelling some off, let us know! Even in uncut sheets that would be useful for some armouring work I've got in mind :)

I'll be posting a for sale thread this week, think I'll sell it per lb per sheet? Buyer pays shipping. Can't cut it down yet unless you don't mind plasma cut edges, in which case there will be an extra charge.

Edited by Kenon Rain.