O6 tool steel for forging and damascus?

gmerrell

I found someone on Craig's list that has a bunch of 3/4" O6. Has anyone tried using it for forging and making damascus? It's all ruff stuff not the drill rod most in 30 foot sections that he's selling for $2 ft.

Thanks for the advise

Greg

I think for the price its very good. If you are making chisels and tools you are going to be happy. I personally don't like tool steel for knives, it's very stiff and not very flexible. I choose to use 10 series spring steels because they can be hard yet tough and flexible. But for the price I would buy it, you can never have too many chisels.

O6 has a abundance of graphite, which makes it "slick" and therefore very good for tools that need some element of self-lubrication. There is one type of knife I've considered for this material, and that's a ductwork blade - cutting through sheet metal all day would benefit from this alloy, I think. Few other uses come to mind where there isn't a better alternative.

But for tooling, punches, swages, stamps, etc., it's great stuff. If I lived there I'd be all over 10 feet of it or so.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

I seem to recall Bill Moran used this alloy some for hunting knives. With 1.45% carbon, it should certainly get hard enough....

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

• 3 weeks later...