IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
pieter-pauld

Puukko WIP

hello everyone,

i have started on my piece for the 2015 KITH and decided to do a little WIP sequence to show how the knife was made.

i apologize for the pictures, as they were made with my phone, as the exensive camere is not allowed to be in the workshop, and may not be used with dirty hands.

because the theme was a puukko wiht scrap pieces in it. i decided to use the first piece of damascus that i've made, which i had lying around and didn't have plans for. funnily enough the other half of this piece of damascus was also forged into a puukko some time ago, sadly i didn't have much skill when i made it and thus made quite an ugly knife...

because the pattern had mild steel in it (first piece of damascus ever, haha ) and because the pattern was a quite boring straight laminate, i decided to weld on a piece of old file as the cutting edge.

sadly i had some trouble with my forge and I burned a part of the billet, however, I had enough material, and with some smart cutting I could salvage enough mateial for the puukko, a folder blade and maybe a small pendant.

I wanted to have a nice pattern and also do the forging as close to shape as i could, because i didn't have too much material. I decided to forge the blade as illustrated in the wonderful tutorial here: http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=31250,

i don't have pictures of each step, but i followed the tutorial.

I wanted to challenge myself by forging as close to shape as i could, which i think worked out pretty well and i'mquite proud of my clean forging.

in fact the forging was so good that i didn't have to use any grinders, and could easily clean up the blade using files alone.

So far i have found no weld flaws, and i only have to sand it and then the blade is ready for heat treat. but that will come in the next post.

enjoy the pictures:

the damascs and the file steel, and a small sneak peak of the pattern:

IMAG0417_zpsv6aothht.jpg

tack welded together:

IMAG0418_zpsvcejlceb.jpg

welded and drawn out to bar, you can see the crack here, after this i decided to do another welding pass, but i have no pictures of that:

IMAG0420_zpsrh8nm4mw.jpg

the bar cut up in three pieces, the arrows indicate the edge, the largest piece became the puukko:

IMAG0421_zpsupjkf8ue.jpg

tang started:

IMAG0422_zpsrqrckoze.jpg

working on the tip:

IMAG0423_zps07fypybe.jpg

started beveling the edge:

IMAG0425_zpscrqufh0w.jpg

the spine was beveled and straightened ( a wooden mallet helps alot), and the other shoulder of the tang forged in:

IMAG0427_zps1sagduwi.jpg

after beveling the tang and a lot of straightening, and precise adjustments, this is the finish forged blade:

IMAG0428_zpsstigyycj.jpg

IMAG0429_zpsmr86vhzl.jpg

after cleaning with sandpaper:

IMAG0432_zps4hh6ck2u.jpg

IMAG0431_zpsx29k15ea.jpg

started with the filework:

IMAG0433_zpsdx4tzttd.jpg

Thanks for the compliment.

Welding side to side isn't too difficult, the most important thing is to make sure the bars are square, and fit together well, so that they don't topple when welding

Good start!

I'm curious, what did you think about the forging process, in comparison to how you would normally go about it?

normally i wouldn't precurve the spine, but would just straighten it as i go.

I would just file in the most of the bevels.

also i normally set the tang with a blacksmith's magician type tool.

lastly, before your tutorial i didn't know that puukko had a diamond cross section, they are actually shaped a lot like tanto blades.

i must notice that with teh precurve and the closely forged bevels,my damascus pattern seems to flow very nicely with the blade shape.

Hello everyone,

I have a little question: how close am i supposed to keep to the traditional puukko shape?

The knife i made is just too wide and the drop of the point too severe to still be a puukko. I think this happened because I forged the bevels thinner than i would normally do.

The problem is that i really like the damascus pattern I have on there, and thus do not want to grind away too much of the knife.

Would it be okay if i made more of a ''scandi' blade than really a traditional puukko, or should i start anew and forge a more traditional one?

here i am inserting my design (not totally finished yet), where one can clearly see that the blade is the wrong shape for a puukko, I still think it would make a nice knife though

IMAG0437_zpslf9c18cw.jpg