This is what's been kicking my ass since the start of the year. Blade is 1/4" 1095, about 12", asymmetrical double edged with deep fullers, differentially hardened, mirror polished and the fullers heat blued. Handle is a turned antler shaft carved on the face with a beast knot, and finished with shellac, with ebony pommel and haunches carved with knotwork. The upper and lower guards are sculpted blued steel, with copper trim.There is a carved bone pommel cap, set with 4 garnets. The scabbard is split and chiseled out of a block of sycamore, lined with felt, carved with knotwork and finished with shellac, with a leather belt loop attached with a blued steel stud screwed into a hidden nut inlaid on the inside of the scabbard.

viking dirk finished 1.jpg

viking dirk finished 2.jpg

viking dirk finished 5.jpg

viking dirk finished 6.jpg

viking dirk finished 7.jpg

viking dirk finished 8.jpg

viking dirk pommel 3.jpg

all in all, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - let me know what you think...

DAYYUM! You have outdone yourself on this one! All that carving makes my brain hurt...

Holy crap! :o That is just ridiculous! Carving is absolutely top shelf, and all of the color contrasting is perfect, especially the purple heat blued fuller. B)

:o just about sums it up!
Brilliant work all around on this one Jake!

DAYYUM! You have outdone yourself on this one! All that carving makes my brain hurt...

Aye, that is magnificent.

thanks guys. Alan, the carving is the fun part - it's all the preliminary shaping and fitting that's the headache. That and filing and polishing the fullers... still have a sgian to do to go with it:

viking sgian rough assembly.jpg

umm...wow!

That is wonderful, I heart it so much!

Really, really lovely work, Jake.

Wow, Jake your work always is great. I kind of just see your avatar and I know I got too look at that one!! The detail in all that carving is what really sets your pieces off from others I see. There is absolutely no lack of detail!! Two thumbs up!

Wow! That's a pretty dirk!

Jake.. this is wonderful. My favorite thing you've made and just incredible carving.

So cool! Pics look much better here than on Fb! Stunning work sir!

jake - you have outdone yourself, man! that is some serious carving. I am really impressed. You know I like almost all of your work, and this one really shines.

Wow, what a bonny dirk! :)