That's awesome! I never have been able to get RR spikes to weld very well, and if I'm see them right it looks like you got a couple of weld flaws too, but congrats for getting them to weld at all!!

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I do enjoy making them.

Sometimes the rail spikes do give me a hard time in the weld. I got a bubble for the first time on the top one. But overall they turn out pretty nicely. I pretty much stick to 1095 for the edges as it welds up easily. I tried some other stuff (5160 and 80crv2) and they both proved to be much tricker to weld.

nice

Now that is different, and different is good! I like them. B)

OK, I was going to say something nasty about them, but then I looked at the pics! Wow! Those are nice! I still don't get the fascination of railroad spikes, but you should keep making ones like this.

Geoff

Geoff and Matt,

I completely understand. I am not crazy about using the rr spikes all the time either. I have a bunch of people here in the states that love them. Something seems to strike them/us from a cultural perspective. Building that American railroad dream. With the way I make them (more viking style) it seems to broaden the audience in to that old world heritage sweet spot as well.

After looking at tons of viking axe pictures and reading about how to make them it seemed to me that the rail spike is almost perfectly suited for the job. It's iron, hard iron and it has a nice head off the back that if forged down right can act as a sort of viking style arm brace in the back. Of course, to make them worth while as a cutting tool they need to have a carbon edge welded in. With a little practice that is not much trouble.

I've also always liked the idea of re-purposing discarded material. So many spikes just discarded after a short life of intended use. The railroad doesn't recycle them, kind of a shame. I hate to think of a perfectly good bit of material lying in the ground rusting away when I could re-purpose it and put it in the hands of a happy customer who will value it for its lifespan.

Also, I get steel where I can and my sister's boyfriend works for the railroad and he get's me a box of goodies every summer! I can't wait for more rail clips this summer, free 1095!

Anyway, I appreciate the looks, likes and compliments!

Matt,

Copy away! After all, I learned everything I know about axe making from this forum. I'm in the camp of knowledge is for the community and competition benefits us all. It's a big world market now and I have plenty of place to sell.

OK, I was going to say something nasty about them, but then I looked at the pics! Wow! Those are nice! I still don't get the fascination of railroad spikes, but you should keep making ones like this.

Geoff

My thinking also, I don't normally get excited by railroad spike axes, but you do it so well... great job man.

• 3 months later...

Man Josh,

Those look great. I would love to make some. If you have time later I would love to see a Work In Progress or a written step by step.

Great Job,

Doug

Jn. 3:16

Josh, really nice work! I forgot who said it but the essence of taking a tired and under appreciated material and making something bad ass out of it!

I'll have to attempt one of these in the future. I've got a whole box of them just laying around.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of making a spike 'hawk for my nephew. I admit, I stole a few of your pictures for inspiration. Those are just beautiful!

• Like 1

These beautiful Josh. I picked up bunch of spikes when I was visiting my daughter in Kentucky coal country and a lot of people have told me not to waste my time. I'm like you in that I hate to see material go to waste. And from this thread I finally learned what material those couple of rail clips I found are also. :) I gotta try one of these. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These are really cool. Looks like something else to add to my tobuy list! For some reason in the first picture the one at the top in the raw does it for me. Do you have a website for when I decide I absolutely have to have one?