Sign in to follow this  
kevin hopkins

test piece/ practice piece

hey guys wanted to show my test/practice piece since I've never made a puukko with the nice flat grind and diamond cross section, or done a scandi style sheath. the blade is 4 7/8 and the handle is just shy of 4 1/4. coil spring curly oak and antler. let me know what you think.

DSCN2008.JPG

DSCN2009.JPG

DSCN2010.JPG

DSCN2011.JPG

DSCN2012.JPG

Pretty nice. Puukkos usually have more profile taper and not so much belly, but it looks like a great knife.

thanks guys this was the 3rd one I forged to practice with my grinding jig( and the only one to survive grinding <_<) Collin the next I plan much more taper and a little smaller blade in general. anyway here's a quick video of the sheath snap

I've come back and looked at this several times over the last couple of days. I've been struggling with drawing handle shapes for my KITH contribution on paper, and not liking what I draw. Your handle has a couple aspects I have been trying to implement, and I like the looks a lot better in real life than on paper. It wasn't the purpose of your post,but I have found the pics to be helpful, and I wanted to say thanks.

I've never made one of these. As I understand it, the sheath leather is wrapped around a wooden insert, correct? do you have any pics of yours as you put it together?

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Brian, sorry I don't have pictures of assembly or the parts but i was inspired by this thread

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24253&hl=

Edited by kevin hopkins

Wow, thanks for the link. I missed that WIP when I did my searches.