14 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Upper right corner on the Home page. Titled "Topics" ? I think......

That is what James is referring to above.  Before the update there were only new topics listed there.  Now it lists the topics with the newest post, whether it be a new topic or a really old topic with a new reply.  Once I hit "Submit Reply", this topic will be the top one in that list, as it will have the newest reply/post.  So far, it is the number one thing I am not too fond of in this update, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker.  The forum could reach out of my monitor and slap me in the face every few minutes and this would still be the best forum on the internet.  

Edited by Jerrod Miller
Edited to add that I checked, and yep, top of that list.

I too missed the "new topics" link until I realized that the "topics" window in the upper right of the homepage is what the old "new topics" link produced.

In other words, in the old forum, the "Topics" panel in the upper right showed the newest created topics, but would not show what old topics had recent activity. This "Topics" panel appears to do just that.

I do miss the bullet or star next to a topic to tell me if it's a topic I'd previously commented on or not, but meh . . . I can live with it.

If you're using a mobile device you're probably screwed, but from a desktop you can click the little bell in the top right corner to open notification, then click the little gear that says "notification settings" at the top right of the dropdown menu.  Fiddle with the toggles there and hopefully it'll stop bugging you.

I'd love five minutes with the guy who thought up this upgrade.  Me with an axe handle.  Him strapped to a steel table.

I'm pretty tolerant of the inevitable changes like this.  It'll change again in 18 months so what I hate today will be something different then.

There is one little bit of functionality that I really miss now, and I am hoping someone can tell me how to turn it back on.  Before the upgrade, if I went to a thread on my phone, it automatically took me to the last post I had read in the topic. (Well, it really went to the first post that I had not read)  This didn't happen from my desktop, only my phone, but it was great because paging through a lot of posts is a pain with a phone.

Any ideas on how to make that happen again?  I'm hoping that there is a config thing I can click on,but I haven't found any options for this.

well there is no NEVER allow this notification option, but i did as you suggested and had it EMAIL me once a week instead of dinging everytime a comment was added. Thats sort of a victory i guess lol

On 3/27/2015 at 4:12 PM, nprovos said:

The gallery is an experiment. If it leads to too much disk space or bandwidth being used, we might have to turn it off again :-)

A note to all users regarding storage space and photos. Photos usually use a huge amount of disk space, but we can all help with that by resizing photos that we upload to the gallery (and other posts) by using this nifty little site: http://webresizer.com/ (this is free)

This will "optimize" your photos by compressing the files and resizing them to user specified pixel width. A multi-mega bite photo can be reduced and saved on your computer to one that is a couple of K instead. You still retain the original photo as a separate file.

Special thanks to Karl Anderson for introducing me to this free website service.

7 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I'm pretty tolerant of the inevitable changes like this.  It'll change again in 18 months so what I hate today will be something different then.

There is one little bit of functionality that I really miss now, and I am hoping someone can tell me how to turn it back on.  Before the upgrade, if I went to a thread on my phone, it automatically took me to the last post I had read in the topic. (Well, it really went to the first post that I had not read)  This didn't happen from my desktop, only my phone, but it was great because paging through a lot of posts is a pain with a phone.

Any ideas on how to make that happen again?  I'm hoping that there is a config thing I can click on,but I haven't found any options for this.

On your desktop, you click on the "last post link" on the right side of the page next to the thread heading. This has the posting person's name below it and the time/date it posted.

On your phone (or at least on my phone) I have to open the thread and click the last page number to get to the end of the thread.

Thanks Joshua,  That will take me to the last post, and I do use those buttons often.  However what used to happen on my phone was that it went to the first post I hadn't read yet.  That may be 20 posts before the end.  

Edited by Brian Dougherty
1 hour ago, Alex Middleton said:

Brian, If you touch the small highlighted dot to the left of the topic title, instead of the topic title itself, it "usually" brings you to the last unread post in the topic.

Alex, you are the man! That worked!

On 2/17/2017 at 10:40 AM, Alex Middleton said:

No problem guys.  I stumbled on it the other day.   Glad I could help.

it was like that the entire time :P

clicking on the double comment icons in the main forums sub group marks all topics inside the sub forum as READ by the way.

Edited by Gabriel James

A lot of folks have said that they miss the area on the old site that showed them the latest posts (that they had not read) and wished it was in the new version.

So I just stumbled on this little link in the upper right-hand corner of the home page that says "unread content". So, I clicked it to see what happens. As it turns out, it lists all the posts (in categories) that you haven't read in chronological order starting with the last hour, then today, and so on. It is available from any page. Pretty cool.

Edited by Joshua States

On my phone I see three icons in the upper right corner. The leftmost of these looks like a monitor screen. Tap that. Under the "show filters" banner choose "condensed" this displays the topics rather than the posts you haven't read.