Grosse Messer WIP

Einar

Been doing a lot of grinding these past couple of days. My cheap angle grinder is holding up surprisingly well. :)

The blade is in rough ground state (36 grit)

Blade length: 76 cm (30")

Blade width: 40 mm (1.57")

Thickness: 6.4 mm thick at the base of the blade, tapering to 2.9 mm at the clip.

Point of balance: 16.5 cm (6.5") for the bare blade.

Heat treatment seems to have gone well. The blade was straight before going into the water and took on just the kind of curve i was hoping for, and with almost no warping. Just a slight bend that I was able to correct right after the quench. Such a relief.

Rob Criswell katana for scale. (I took the pics for a friend who needed size reference)

301nkph.jpg

o5q82q.jpg

Very ncie. I look forward to watching along!

I have always thought that one man of tolerable abilities may work great changes, and accomplish great affairs among mankind, if he first forms a good plan....

- Benjamin Franklin

well now, that thing has potential! Remember to make the guard fit on the blade such that you can see the blade shoulders from underneath. If the handle is full tang, then you sort of have to do it that way. Looking forward to this one.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

well now, that thing has potential! Remember to make the guard fit on the blade such that you can see the blade shoulders from underneath. If the handle is full tang, then you sort of have to do it that way. Looking forward to this one.

kc

Thanks Kevin. I dont really understand what you mean by "see the blade shoulders from underneath".