Krateros

Nice Shod Knife

I never post other people works but this exception worth it!

a very good friend of mine who is a farrier and we ''forgeplay'' a lot together started a blade from a bearing ball

that i gave him and i really didn't expect what was next to come for a handle.

he is not that good with keyboards as he is with many other crafts so i decided to show this for him.

IMG_1195_zps6kic0unk.jpg

IMG_1296_zpsr1ublrqa.jpg

IMG_1297_zpsrl0eqsgr.jpg

IMG_1294_zpsr7q9k3h5.jpg

IMG_1307_zpssxfdxyic.jpg

IMG_1310_zpsujw2apiz.jpg

IMG_1312_zpssu75yovm.jpg

IMG_1316_zpsuyvx9tdi.jpg

IMG_1321_zpscjsd6gsd.jpg

IMG_1324_zpspnmofy5a.jpg

IMGP2376_zpsusbue9xw.jpg

IMGP2371_zpsh4zpo2zz.jpg

IMGP2381_zpsskrg8spe.jpg

IMGP2387_zpst3guv3vz.jpg

IMGP2306_zps5iup7iah.jpg

even the tiny horse shoe nails are hand forged...

thanks for watching.

• Like 1

Fantastic! I would never have even thought to try something so outside-the-box, and you're friend pulled it off perfectly.

Edited by VaughnT

Fantastic!

There used to be a thing a few years ago of taking a small deer foot, about muntjac size, and preserving it and setting it in the shape of a knife handle and then hammering the tang of a blade up into it. Your rendition of sculpted wood and superb shoe is better by far than of those old deershoof things.

I'd be proud to bring that out after a successful hunt!

Great job!

wow! cool stuff. I love the horseshoe.

Hot Damn...

Love the hand made sculptural aspect of it!

This is an Artisan piece.

-Gabriel

Wow, I must admit as I scrolled down through the pics, I wondered were this was going, especially when it got to the miniature horse shoe! When I finally got to the pic of the knife. Well I had to go back up and scroll back through the pics to see what I missed.

You friend done well and not only does he have a knack of shoeing a horse and eye for the horse's form he has a knack for incorporating that into a knife! Be sure to tell your friend a job well done! I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head, pun intended! His work is flawless as well as something that steps into another dimension, most seasoned knife makers would not be comfortable attempting!! Job well done indeed!!! bow.gif

Edited by C Craft

at one point, I actually felt a little sad, thinking that your friend was making an ugly knife handle and we were going to need to give some support and encouragement (like I needed for so long - maybe still, but that is another issue).

Then, suddenly, it all came together! That is a great little sculpture. We have all seen lots of horse's heads on handles, but this is a first for me.

cool!

kc

being a horse owner myself this is a spectacular piece and openly admitting just a tad jealous this isn't mine !!!

Guest guest T

well I have heard of a "mare's leg" rifle but never a filly's foot knife. ^_^

Man, that is so super cool. What a great idea!

Fantastic! I love it!

on behalf of my friend thank you very much everyone!!

Being a former Hufschmied, I really love this. I like the carving and the leg and huf are perfect. Even the sole, frog and bars are exactly how the they should look. The contrast from the two different woods is very cool and is in good effect for the whole piece.

Most may not notice, but how the shoe fits past the heels is perfect. Not only does your friend make wonderful art I can tell he is a very good Hufschmied just to catch that detail.