Uri Hoffi hammer technique DVD

Nick Wheeler

Hey Folks- (I used to say fellas, but now that I know Maggie or Dorothy could be looking ;) )

I just got a DVD I bought on ebay that's Uri Hoffi discussing hammer form/technique.

His technique would really take some getting used to, as I admit I'm less consistent with grip, stance, and relativity to the anvil than I'd like. However, it all makes sense and IF I can actually adopt his ideas--- it would sure improve my consistency and efficiency.

It might be of interest to some of you folks.

I guess now I gotta bite the bullet and get a hammer or two from Tom or Uri :D

-forever-a-student-Nick-

Edited by Nick Wheeler

Hey Nick!

I've seen that video for sale and really wondered about getting it. I was really impressed with the technique you showed me at Tom's a few years ago. How does Hofi's technique compare to yours? Can his technique be used with a hammer other than one of his?

Thanks,

- Mike :)

Hi Mike!

Hoffi's approach is pretty much altogether different than most folks.

His grip, his stance, the motion.

I'd like to see how he would sequence forging a blade to shape.

In the video he's really just explaining the difference between "traditional" methods and his own. The only time he actually forges something is near the end... but overall I feel it was worth the $. I'd really like to take a general smithing class from Uri and/or Tom Clark... but I've got to make the time and money to go.

I think you could use Uri's methods with most hammers... but it would be ideal to have one of his hammers for the shape/balance. I used about 5 different ones of Tom Clarks at the ABS Spokane Hammer-in, and they really are wonderfully balanced.

I might be wrong, but I think Don is using a couple Clark hand hammers for most of his forging.

:D

-Nick-

Edited by Nick Wheeler

ain't a hammer a hammer?  :)

26833[/snapback]

Tom's hammers are really nice. They feel great in your hand. But $100 is a LOT to pay for a hammer. You might try buying a cheap Wally World sledge and use a chop abrasive saw to cut off a inch of each face and you'll get roughly the same

center of gravity of the Hofi hammer.

That said, having one of Tom's Hammers increases your status at Hammer-ins.

When someone asks how's it hanging you can say"like Tom's" :lol:

Yellow Hammer

That said, having one of Tom's Hammers increases your status at Hammer-ins.

When someone asks how's it hanging you can say"like Tom's" :lol:

Yellow Hammer

26843[/snapback]

If someone asked me 'how's it hanging?', questioning me about *my* hammer... I'd say it ain't *hanging*... it's somewhere up over my head 'n ready to work. :lol:

When am I going to be a issued a 'master liar' stamp, btw??

Jimmy's perverted personality, Mack ;)

Since I've blathered and posted enough pics to be about out of global space, I'm adding a hyperlink to a photo of a modified 4 pound sledge... an el cheapo from Wally World. I cut down the handle to suit, chopped off one face... very gently crowned the remaining face so that ya really have to work to put a dent in a blade. Maggie and Dorothy like it a lot... and so do I. I may cut down a six pound for myself.

http://www.fototime.com/users/OleyFermo@aol.com/Shop%20tour

Jimmy, King of Oleyandia

Edited by OleyFermo

Cool hammer Jimmy :)

Is that handle solid? I was looking at some sledges recently with fg handles, and they were hollow!

I bet that works great for the initial break-down of stock.

I think I'd like it even better if it had a square face.

-Nick-

Modified post by Dennis McAdams

Hello,

I can't speak to everyone since we're all different... but I went from an elbow tendonitis sufferer to a hammerin fool by changing to a Hofi 'style' hammer. There are people who make them besides Tom and Hofi but I also own a true Hofi hammer, mainly 'cause he's somewhat of an interesting guy and a nut too! I'm not sure if it's mass, technique, or a combination but I really don't care I know I can hammer daily and still have no pain. For me, I like positive results.

Dennis

uploaded_tatoo.jpg

Don Fogg

Nice Tartan!

I too noticed vast improvement. I'd use to hammer awhile and my forearm would swell up and be useless. After Tom Clarks instruction, I can hammer all day.

Edited by hammerdownnow

Many are chosen, but few are Pict!

If someone asked me 'how's it hanging?', questioning me about *my* hammer... I'd say it ain't *hanging*... it's somewhere up over my head 'n ready to work. :lol:

When am I going to be a issued a 'master liar' stamp, btw??

Jimmy's perverted personality, Mack ;)

26855[/snapback]

I believe the Master Liar stamp is a rating that comes after you have achieved your Possum stamp. As you have clearly achieved Possum, I would think you to be eligible for Master Liar. A picture of a knife, a story of your good looks and verification by at least three other erroneous wordsmiths would be adequate. I'm still working on my Lowly Rodent stamp.

As far as hammers go I've learned the hard way to spend the money on some good ones.

Edited by Tim Crocker

Crocker Knives

I'm not as big as Larry, but I to own 2 of Tom's hammers. A 2.1 and a 4.0 lbs. My only problem with them is that sometimes may hammer hand get too warm due to the "short" handle.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a picture in Rural Delivery of a smith conference in Nova Scotia. The instructor pictured has his hammer at the top of the swing, and he had zero wrist cock. Hammering is as complicated as the golf swing, there are any number of reasons to have overuse injuries, that have nothing to do with the "club" in use. That's not to say that a well designed hammer won't find it's way into my collection. I've had difficulty holding the line!