Sign in to follow this  
JPH

OK..Help! This has me bugged

Hello:

I have been around this old world for a little bit now..been playing with hot stuff for a day or three as well...and for the life of me I can not figure this one out.

A while back I decdided to poutter about and make some crucible steel from ore...went down to my local swamp with one of those fishing magnets (the 75# strength ones..) wrapped it in heavy cloth and dredged the creek and swamp. The area I went was about 3/4 of a mile away from TiMet (a Titanium company out here in Henderson)..Anyway I got me like 50 pounds of magnatite and other stuff..brought it back up to the ranch, did a direct reduction smelt using mesquite and creosote as a fuel...bloom was very nice albiet a bit spongey....I did some bloom consolidataion into a semi wrought bars...cut them up and then threw them into a crucible with some old bones, broken glass and some white sand with a handfull of borax for grins and giggles...sealed it up and started to cook it...Basically doing the Huntsman Process....with some added C... So I held it about 2750F for a good 4 1/2 hours or so and then did a slow cool in the fire...

Couple days later I get it out (had to break the crucible..no biggie..I knew that was going to happen)..had a nice puck of about 7 pounds.

Hammered it out...worked very nice under the hammer and press.a little hot hard but not all that much... Cut off a test piece..oil hardened OK..but a bit soft.....water hardened even better... Did a spark test..sparked with blooms on the ends..I would say about 70 to 80 pts C but the sparks were white/silver..hummmm

So I hammered this out into a sword cause I wanted to....clayed it up and well..Yaki Ire went great..got some nice sori and no tink of death...Quenched in my usual caustic soda bath at 295 F...came out clean and nice. Hamon easily seen..

Now here is where it gets funky.. As I polished this all sorts of weird stuff started showing..

For some reason I can only post 1 photo at a time and I have several more showing the activity that I would like to discuss... HELP!! What am I doing wrong?

JPH

DSC01168A.jpg

DSC01170A.jpg

DSC01167A.jpg

DSC01167A.jpg

Edited by JPH

If you look close you can see a ghost Hamon as well....the needle like marks are NOT scratches..looks like a funky crystalline structure going on in there...

DSC01172A.jpg

DSC01175A.jpg

Edited by JPH

Going with the obvious one here...

Too high a Ti content? Ti sparks in that range, and as you stated, there was a titanium corp nearby.

I know the magnetite here has a small amount of titanium in it, but with your sparks this would imply a Ti content higher than normal. Perhaps the Ti is peeling away in the polish sort of how large carbides can break away at knife edges?

I thought about the Ti as well..but why isn't there any "grain" showing in the Hamon? Unless everything went into solution during Yaki Ire..maybe I just fell into a dumb luck situation where everything was just right? I wish I could get these photos to work...I have alot of crystalline stuff going on in this blade..and it isn't banding...that I do know...so I know I didn't accidently violate Fluffy's so called "Techno-Wootz" patent...

DSC01176A.jpg

Edited by JPH

I don't know what the heck is going on with it, though I suspect some kind of trace elements in the ore are at the root, but I'd sure charge extra! It's a gorgeous effect. :)

Edited by Stormcrow

JPH,

That steel looks very familiar. Have you done something close to that in the past?

Jan

Jan:
I made a smaller test blade from it and it didn't show anywhere near this amount of funky...seems that larger piece got a bit more "active"...

Edited by JPH

JPH,

I think you have a steel with some carbide formers, which are creating a pattern just like the wootz mechanism...wootz is only forged to about a 4 to 10 x reduction....you may have put a lot of work into it making the pattern look a little like tek-know-wutz.

Jan

oh great...now Fluffy is going to sue me as well....

I was thinking the same thing about the carbides but the grain that runs along the direction of the drawing shows on the spine..but when you get to the edges..you get the crystalline structures...and then there's the Hamon..just shiney... Interesting thing to ponder

Very interesting- the look is bloody close to the closeups of some of the Japanese swords in my giant coffee-table book of Walter Compton's collection. And as for the titanium thing- reading about the Mantetsu production the local Manchurian ore and Swedish steel was actually praised for its complete lack of titanium- which in sword steel they considered a liability, not a bonus- compared to native Japanese steel which apparently had a fair bit comparatively speaking. Whether it's the alloy inclusion also making some of these looks on some of the old blades, who knows....

hi

you produce a dendritic structure when the ingot cool (basically it doesn't all solidify at once.. some stuff comes out of solution before others and forms that tree like structure )

so unless you have done a long proper anneal to homogenize the ingot.. there will be some of it remaining

JPH.

I don't know how long you spheroidized it ( or normalized it )...but the spheroidized cementite disolves a bit slower ..I see tempered martensite and some of the pattern in the area near the blade edge.

If you want that hamon why not heat the hell out of it and then do your quenching routine.

Here are some samples of blades that seem to have been overheated.

wootz--verhoeven-9809fig2lg.gif second blade from the top

IMG_2369 (1024x768) copy.jpg

I have done some tests ( on forged wootz) and found the carbide formers migrating into the forged dendrite layer...the bright areas grow together and form very large areas of a single color. A few more minutes at that high temperature and the bar will be homogenized. Then go back to normal practices and you should get your expected hamon.

Jan

Jan

I had a batch of low Mn 1075 that showed almost the identical thing that you are showing here. The pattern showed only above the hamon. It was alloy banding for some reason. I called Aldo and he was embarrassed and worried that I was upset.. but heck... I liked it. I later learned about the whole 'Fluffy' thing.