A bowie and a fighter :)

Hello, fellow makers, been a long time :) hope you all had a nice winter :)

So this two blades are the first ones of this year, forged out of old spring leafs of a zastava 101 :D eheheh

first time using this steel and i heat treated it like it was 5160 and well it went quite well

(heheh followed the ht suggested by some of you in older topics, praise the search button)

holds the edge nicely :) now they need only further testing out in the wild :)

the Bowie specs:
5160 spring steel 5-6 mm
overall length 32 cm or 13 " ?
blade length 18 cm or 7" ?
guard in mild steel and x-cut bocote a really nice wood to work with :)

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

the fighter specs:
5160 spring steel 5-6 mm forged and etched
overall length: 30 cm or 12"
blade length: 17.5 cm or 6" 1/2" ???
mild steel guard, various spacers and handle in Laburnum anagyroides nice wood but last time using it :|

44.jpg

I am quite satisfied with the bowie came out as i wanted it, now i only need to make some sheaths :D

hope you like it and have a nice day and week :)

Ps: any suggestions is welcome and will be appreciated more than a "nice knife" comment or similar :D

edit: cut down the size of the pics :)

Edited by Elvis Stepcic

They are both nice knives! :lol:

That said, I'd try to make a more graceful ricasso/choil on the bowie, the way it is looks a little stretched out. Either bringing the edge closer to the guard or making a tighter radius for the curve would, in my opinion, look a little better.

The fighter is very well proportioned. After looking up Laburnum toxicity I can understand why you won't be using it again. I hope it was not too unpleasant! :o

thx guys!

That said, I'd try to make a more graceful ricasso/choil on the bowie, the way it is looks a little stretched out. Either bringing the edge closer to the guard or making a tighter radius for the curve would, in my opinion, look a little better.

i think to get what you mean, will try to do so with the next one :)

I think they are both very nice, too. In fact, I am making several of a design a lot like the bowie for a wedding party. Not calling mine a bowie, but more of a camping/bushcraft (and maybe a little shorter).

My suggestions, tighten the radii on the curves a bit, try to get the top of the handle to be at the same level as the spine of the knife for at least the first half of the handle length, and put some filework on the guard. When you have a large section of metal that is unadorned, it can look clunky. File in a groove or two, or three (two little and one bigger in the middle is a common trick).

On the fighter, either smooth out the junction of the two planes on the guard that makes the facets, or continue those two planes back through the knife handle. All the way through to the end. That way, it is obvious and bold. Some very famous knives have that sort of faceting, and it can be a great feature.

Please understand, these suggestions are made with the best of intentions. Your knives look very good as they are. Also, I received exactly these suggestions from people on this forum, and they helped me. So, I am giving them to you.

Keep 'em comin'.

take care,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

I agree with all of thee above you are making very solid knives with good fit and finish and you are obviously developing a good eye for lines. With all of the being said since you asked for critique I took the liberty of over laying a rough design over your bowie knife. Just as a disclaimer I very much like your knives and think they would be great users as they are but here are some stylistic change that I would recommend. Like I said before everything seems very solid and well fit the only recommendation I could make would be on your proportions. The ricasso on this knife seems a bit "fat" to me but that style is very popular among many so it's just a personal thing. I would also move the pin closer to the guard so that it is a little over half way between the guard and end of the handle. I hope the changes I made make sense but take them with a grain of salt but know that I mean them in the kindest way possible.

post-39480-0-17865100-1430347882_zpshztu

Edited by Robert Burns

:) as said in the first topic i welcome every critique and suggestions :D thank you for tacking your time and spending the time to write down :D

this weekend i tested the "bowie" and i have to modify a bit the handle, the bulge vs the guard is a bit too "fat" so it needs some diet xD for the rest seems ok good edge retention after using it on seasoned hardwoods :)

the fighter needs further modifying, as now is to "slippery" will try to add some checkering or something similar :|

now thank you again for the critiques :)

"""get the top of the handle to be at the same level as the spine of the knife for at least the first half of the handle length"""

tried to do both this way as you can "see" on the fighter was easier as the back i made it without the brut the forge so is linear,

the "bowie" came out a little curved while i was forging the tang ( still learning and not many tools :|) and i wanted to leave it this way,

in pic seems not really linear and in fact it isn't but it's almost there xD

for the guard on the fighter, the two sides keep on going down the handle but they are a bit blended in to have a soft transition and no "edges"

thank you Robert for the time spent with the drawing :) really like it! will take some of the stuff over in to the next ones :)

in fact the original drawing after the forging was to make a guard like that but during the progress i made it smaller :\

will try to make some less heavy guards in the future, find this ones a bit chunky and a bit an eye sore after some time, need something to make them look a bit less heavy xD

i have to further study guard designs as i find issues to transition from drawing to the actual thing :|

i really dislike the file works, some are nice and add to the blade but others... i find them a bit kitsch

:) thank you again for the time spent on leaving your's thoughts :)

have a nice week :)

• Like 1

I totally understand about filework on the blade and tang, but you might be surprised the visual lightening effect a single groove filed around the guard like Robert drew can achieve.

yeah - I never do filework on anything other than the guard and spacers. I only do a groove or two there. I may start doing more on the handle, if I keep pushing the Scandinavian styles. But, on anything else, one groove is often plenty.

In fact, Alan and JPH are the ones who taught me to do this in the first place.

good work. And cheers for taking everything in such good spirits.

kc

hello :D

so i had some time to do the file work :) well it's messy as all my works but gives a different depth to the knife as a whole (at least thats my impression)

well thank you for suggesting this modification :) i think i will carry it on on the future knives i will make

i also re read all the suggestion and yeah the pin is really out of place on both, i shall put it a bit closer to the guard in the future :)

don't mind the dirty blade, it was worse before cleaning

btw this is my 4 th blade i make using a belt grinder, so still learning a lot of stuff on the way :D

DSC_00041.jpg

"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinions." - James Russell Lowell

have a nice day :D

I agree with Robert. It is amazing what a simple, well-placed, line can do.

kc