Finally, some new stuff!

Geoff Keyes

I've been working hard, 3 shows in 7 weeks, plus teaching, plus the worst upper respiratory infection in quite some time. Then I realized that I hadn't gotten pics of anything in a while. These are all informal, but they will have to do for now.

First, a dagger, what I think of as an "Arkansas Toothpick". This is a blade that has lived in my head for a long time, I saw of a pic of one of Jimmy Lile's toothpicks somewhere before I even became a maker.

OL 16"

BL 10 1/2"

Damascus 1080/15n20

NS lugged guard

Sterling seppa

Walrus spacer

turned buffalo horn handle

Sterling silver cap (found object, 19th century English hallmarks)

IMG_0013 (533x800).jpg

Next. a Bowie

OL 13 1/2"

BL 8 1/2"

Copper and NS stacked guard

Buffalo and bone spacers, some textured

Iron wood handle

Basket weave Damascus

IMG_0023 (800x533).jpg

My take on a Vendetta Corsa

Walnut handle and scabbard

OL 11 1/4"

BL 5 3/4"

"W" Damascus bolster

Walrus spacer

Low layer blade

IMG_0024 (800x533).jpg

IMG_0025 (800x533).jpg

Gents boot knife

OL 11 1/4

BL 6 3/8"

Copper guard

Textured purpleheart spacer

Ironwood handle with fiber spacers lengthwise

IMG_0026 (800x533).jpg

Another gents Bowie, I'm calling this one the "Mississippi Straight" after the Ray Wiley Hubbard song

OL 12 1/4

BL 7 1/2

Dovetailed NS bolster

Stabilized Holly slabs with domed pins

Skullbuster pommel with a tapered tang

IMG_0029 (800x533).jpg

And last, a slightly eastern gents knife

OL 11 3/8th

BL 6 3/4"

Integral bolster

Mammoth bark scales with a red fiber liner

Sterling pins

Damascus blade, low layer count mild twist

IMG_0030 (800x533).jpg

Thanks for looking

Geoff

• Like 2

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Wow. Those look really great, Geoff. I'm a big fan of the dagger. Love the guard on it.

The Vendetta Corsa and the boot knife are also really cool.

Cheers!

Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

It would be hard to say which is my favorite, they're all great. That stabilized holly looks like it would be a good substitute for antique ivory.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

That Vendetta Corsa is great, as is the boot knife. The pattern on that boot knife is nice, and I love how it follows the taper of the blade.

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

Thanks folks. The holly looks like old bone in person, very nice. Now if I could just find some more. I've had that so long I don't even remember where I got it.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Very nice work.

I just sawed up some big chunks of seasoned American holly, but alas, the wood-bores beat me to it.

Now it looks like Swiss holly.

I think the boot knife is my favorite.

Geoff,

good to see your stuff. I like them all, too. love the use of copper. I love the copper alloys, in general (some brasses are crap, and nickel silver isn't as much fun to work, but overall they are great). quite the collection of historically-inspired pieces.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

I too would be hard pressed to pick a favorite, beautiful work sir.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook