A getting back to making knives knife

I designed this knife several years ago and never built it. It's a bit "tactical" but I enjoy the lines of it. It is not obvious in the images but it is a hidden/full tang hybrid design that was intended to have anodized titanium spacers, much like you might see in a modern folding knife design, sandwiched between the handle material and tang.

I'd be happy to hear what you think of it. I plan on beginning to forge the blade steel this week. My intention is to use 1095 and 15n20 as I have a simple layered billet of that laying around. If you have any thoughts on a pattern for the steel that might compliment the design I'd be interested in those thoughts as well.

Thanks.

Shane

Origin.gif

Today I got started on the blade steel. I started with a large 20 layer billet of 15n20 and 1095 which I had welded and drawn out. I cut and stacked this four deep and welded them up with handles. I had enough steel to make three small billets which should give me three blades at 80 layers each. For this first project I think I'll stop there with the layer count. I should be able to forge weld these and draw them out later this week. Still contemplating what patterns to try out and happy to take suggestions.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender1.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this progress, Shane!

I wonder if a more sweeping plunge cut might compliment the lines of the piece a bit more?

Also, what do you think about making the two finger grooves a bit deeper to give it a more slender "waist?"

Cheers,

Dave

I like the design. I bet a ladder pattern would look pretty beast on it, but I'm a sucker for a good ladder pattern.

I like the design. I bet a ladder pattern would look pretty beast on it, but I'm a sucker for a good ladder pattern.

James,

I like ladder too and have never tried it. I'll make one of them laddered. Thanks for the input.

Shane

Edited by Shane Harvey

Dave,

Yeah, I like the idea of a more sweeping plunge cut. I haven't been able to get a deeper finger groove to look right yet but I may simply be too locked into what I've drawn up. Regard the plunge cut, if I let a bit of belt hang over the edge of the wheel I might get something more like this:

plunge.gif

Edited by Shane Harvey

I like them both but I'd rather carry the top one of the two. The one with the sweeping plunge. Others may disagree but I think a random pattern would look good. However, if you could get some kind of pattern with hard sharp lines in the pattern it might have a futuristic look to it which might be cool.