Tiaan Burger

Tiger and moon friction folder WIP

This is a follow-up to last year's "Tiger under a tree" http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=26501&hl=tiger

I found this photo of a kozuka with the same tiger, and decided there and then that it will be my next stock project.

Tiger%2Band%2Bmoon%2B1.jpg

With kozuka conforming to quite rigid dimensions (14 x 96 mm) it was a simple matter to transfer the design to a folded steel handle. Then the trouble started. It is a very shallow carving, the amount of depth one sees in the photo is only an illusion, it took me a couple of days to get the basic form ready for the inlays, and as I worked on the inlays I kept on correcting tiny mistakes.

I'm not going to bore you with the 14 in progress photos, these you can see here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/+TiaanBurger/albums/6145466349135758385, I want to show you the good stuff! The two pictures show my progress as at 16h00 this afternoon, about four weeks into this project:

Tiger%2Band%2Bmoon%2B12.jpg

Tiger%2Band%2Bmoon%2B13.jpg

The handle is 14mm wide (about 9/16" for you imperialists). The base metal is mild steel, the inlays are 24K gold.

Q&C welcome.

More pics coming over the next couple of days...

Magic, as always!

That is some fine art.

Well done, Tiaan. You've made major step ups in your skill levels! I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy finished.

Tom

that rocks. I am pretty much floored by the amount of talent it takes to do something like that. I like it, very much.

kc

It is done, about 20 days of work. The blade is a 1070 and K600 (A nickel steel made by Bohler) san mai with a hand rubbed finish.

Tiger and moon 14.jpg

Tiger and moon 15.jpg

Tiger and moon 16.jpg

Edited by Tiaan Burger

Your work never ceases to impress me... this is wonderful on so many levels.

As George said!!!