• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
J.S.Voutilainen

KITHmäkeläinen

June is fast approaching and it is about time to get this project moving.

2ajrmmh.jpg

Forged this out of 115 CrV3, because I didn't have any interesting scrap.

Yes, that is how it came out of the forge. I tried to get the shape as close as possible because I don't want to grind the spine/spine bevel. Typically I leave the blade somewhat rougher if I plan on grinding all the surfaces.

That's some superb forging! Paired with the tutorial you posted a while back, you're doing great things B)

Can't wait to see your fittings!

John

That's a forged finish?

It's going to take me pretty much the rest of this life and most of the next one to get anywhere near that level of skill!

Damn!

Blade survived heat treatment

28rytzs.jpg

So far, so good.

John

Thank you. I've studied and experimented with different methods of forging puukko blades for years, and finally I have a recipe that works. That said, my forging experience is limited to small blades like this. I cannot pattern weld, at all. Couldn't reproduce the blade you made, for example. So, at the moment I'm a "one-trick pony".

I have to disappoint you when it comes to fittings, because I was planning on making a "Kokemäki-puukko" = KITHmäki-puukko ;) . That means no bolsters. Kokemäkeläinen is probably my all time favorite among traditional puukko types.

Juttle

I appreciate the comment, but, let me assure you, it will not take a lifetime. These are small, simple knife blades - that makes practice easy and fast. Trust me, If I can learn how to do it, anyone can. I have seen this with my own eyes when teaching other people how to make these.

Glad to see it survived! No bolsters, no problem B) Seeing your passion for the puukko come to life is more than I could have hoped for!

Ok, pretty much finished with the blade.

2hgv8ty.jpg

2lc8owo.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the result, over all. There are some scratches, and the shoulders are slightly misaligned... my makers mark is all over the place, as usual :blink: . But I like it.

Thanks John! Much appreciated. Hopefully I can expand beyond puukkos soon. I would love to try and make a seax. Don't know where that idea came from.

That is a very nice blade. What the others said about your finished forged product, 'one trick pony' or not. Very inspiring.

This puukko is almost ready

2af0j7n.jpg

Blade length 12cm, 13 cm curly/"visa" birch handle, brass pin. Because this one is heavily influenced by Kokemäki-puukko there are no bolsters and the shoulders of the blade have been left visible.

Progress on the sheath:

"Lesta" or last (birch)

2ij47f7.jpg

av3l35.jpg

25ulj5c.jpg

28cjyi0.jpg

ruct5d.jpg

Belt loop

zjy0yw.jpg

• Like 1

That is a very nice blade.

Thank you. I like it also.

As I have said this is probably my favorite puukko type. Seems simple enough, but, in my opinion, quite difficult to do "right".

Beautiful work so far, I'm starting on mine tomorrow and this is just the inspiration I needed.

how thick is that leather? I made an attempt add this style sheath and it seemed took my to be just too thick.

how thick is that leather?

It's about 2mm thick, maybe a fraction more. The trick with a sheath like this is to shave the leather progressively thinner from "waist" down towards the tip. That makes it much easier to shape/stitch the curve. I use a spokeshave like this:

web5130big.jpg

That wood core is thin! Excellent tip on the spoke shave. I'm always trying to figure out good ways to thin down leather, and I will certainly have to try this. A pleasure to watch your progress!

John

This one has been ready for some time now. Here is one picture I managed to capture before I was driven away by a swarm of blood thirsty mosquitos. Arctic summer... *sigh*

nfmomo.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to add better ones later.

John,

It's a good tool for the job, but it has to be sharp. The leather must be wet for it to work properly.

Thanks for the tip, wouldn't have thought of that! I would be thrilled to receive your puukko in the exchange :D