3 Layer Chef's Knife WIP

I disolved as much borax into a glass of water that it would take and had some left over in the bottom. I soaked the water in between the three layers and then caked a little wet borax on the edges. I used two layers of 1018 with a thin core of 1095, and forge welded it by hand. It welded very easily and there were no inclusions. I know others use this method, but this is the first time I have tried applying the borax wet beforehand. It worked well for me.

knife.png

Edited by Tim Crocker

Tim,

Very nice work, I am glad you tried the method and it worked for you. The first time I ever heard of a saturated solution of borax was in one of JPH's books..I am not sure where he got it , he may have come upon it himself.

Jan

looks like the welding came out really well.

good luck on the rest of it.

I have seen jewelers dissolve borax and boric acid in denatured alcohol, and then soak/dip a piece in it. Burn the alcohol off (i.e., put it into the forge), and you get a flux and also something that scavenges oxygen. Of course, I weld mostly without flux, sometimes even by wrapping in stainless foil. But, I use flux for some of the weird shapes and tricky stuff, or long stuff, and I want to try the alcohol trick.

I have done the water technique you mentioned, too. Borax doesn't dissolve too well in water, but it seems to work pretty well anyway.

nice blade!

I'll have to try the denatured method. Just last week I tried the stainless foil, but I tried it with an induction heater. The foil acted as an electromagnetic shield with the induction. It was a complete failure, though I am sure it would work well with a traditional forge.

• 1 year later...

I finally got around to finishing this. Not the best pic, but its the only one I have of it. Ebony, nickel silver, pomele sapele.

20161123_155028.jpg

Edited by Tim Crocker