I'm a newbie...bad newbie. I want so bad to make the knives, swords, axes and such that are trapped in my mind, and I have no Idea where to even start. Anyone have some ideas and suggestions on where to even start? As in; what tools do i even need to procure to begin?? Any help or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks all!

Start reading the pinned threads in the Beginners Place sub-forum.

Edited by Jerrod Miller

Read through all of the pinned topics on heat treating, knife design, and all of the pinned WIP topics, watch the Arctic Fire 2012 videos, and get yourself some nice files, you'll spend lots of time with your files. :D

• Like 1

I would add that perhaps you can add some clarity about yourself and any related skills/tools you might already have.

In addition, I would suggest, as a beginner, you perhaps start with stock removal and heat treat. Once you have that working then delve into forging. Or reverse. I just think its extra hard to try and learn both at same time.

Stock removal can be done pretty low costs. Buy some good steel (or practice on mystery metal first), a hacksaw, some clams, some files, and a disk grinder will get you going along. Start short/small and you can use a brake drum for a forge with lump charcoal for heat treat.... Take it from me, trying to make a sword is painful. The scale of forge and quench tank go way up, as does skill for even heat, and the heart brake is that much larger when it goes wrong.

Good luck!

• Like 1

To add; a few good books to get you started that your local library may have:

"The Wonder of Knifemaking" - Wayne Goddard

"The Complete Bladesmith" - Jim Hrisoulas (who frequents this forum)

Both are good, and have excellent information for beginners. Also, do what everyone else above says and keep in mind that this is a craft that demands patience. Make a crap ton of knives before you even think about making a sword.

Fourteen years and I feel like I'm just getting started.

Read, study, learn. Ask, watch, listen.

If you can find an experienced teacher, you will be doubly blessed.

Try it. If you fail, try again. If you succeed, celebrate, then do the next one better.

Enjoy the journey.