Hey guys, as all of you know, It's hard to see hours of thought, work, obsession, go out the window in a few moments.

In my case, it's a draw knife. Forged the edged too thin and a failed heat treat. (Not a large enough quench tank).

Anyone else feel like sharing some recent "learning experiences"? :wacko:

FullSizeRender (8).jpg

FullSizeRender (10).jpg

FullSizeRender (12).jpg

I actually recently made a drawknife too, and similar to yours, didn't survive. The blade came out alright, but I had to bend one of the handle reins to fit it through the forge. For some unknown reason, the other one snapped off, post temper. There's still plenty of width on yours to bring the edge back though! Make the bevel a little steeper and you're in business B)

A few months ago, was making a knife for a friend of my brother. Heat treat went well, and so did the temper. It had a slight warp in it, so while it was hot from the temper, I started to straighten it, and broke about 2 inches off of the front of it. I liked that knife too.

Oh, I have plenty of those.

I'm drowning in farriers rasps, but beside each end most of it is full of pesky teeth. So I did a test of sorts where I spent more time than I should on folding, welding and drawing the rasp to get a U-welded billet where the bottom of the U should make the edge. Then I sandwiched a piece of it in mild steel, forged out a blade, and quenched it in water "because it's usually OK and the oil wasn't warm".. :P

IMG_1540_zpsrq4darkk.jpg
IMG_1541_zpsjao2rbjf.jpg

Then I tried my hand at some Shears, which aren't a complete failure but they'll need some tweeking and it's a pain to do when they're hardened.
I think this was quite a bit above my level, especially laminated ones like these.
Another thing to mention here is that I've started using spring fullers for setting tangs and drawing out. For drawing out they're perfect, but I'm beginning to notice they might be a bit harsh on the stock for aggressive shouldermaking. There's a few other knives that I've chucked away since small cracks were developing right at the start of the tang where it needs to be strongest.
As I was finishing these shears and was almost ready to bend them around on themselves, the side I wasn't working on snapped off, and that's when I saw the cracks.
I wasn't going to let all that work go to waste without even seeing how they would look finished, so I arc welded the blade back on and reinforced the other.
I'm not sure what to try next, maybe a triangle spring tool that cuts, or something square that works more like a set hammer over an anvil corner? I think the round spring fuller stretches too much, even at good heat.

IMG_1542_zpsrgm8yfj1.jpg

Then there's the other day when I spent hours on a Viking-ish frying pan with a handle riveted in the centre. It was getting late and I'm often too impatient with rivets so it got crooked. I took another heat and was planning on just blending it out, but ended up tearing up both the pan and the handle. No pictures, I just crumpled it up.
Then there's my college graduation project that involves a chefs knife and a fork in some sort of a artsy kit, that I won't be able to finish this year because of problems that won't go away relating to too much iron in my blood. Ironic? It feels like a failure now even though I'll be able to finish next year. I just don't see it in between moving, working and diaper changing.