Log Splitter Forging Press

Hello,

Im looking to get a press ready for this summer and was looking at re-purposing either one of those 5 ton electric splitters from menards or getting a 20 ton splitter from harbor freight and making some die for it. Ive seen it done a few times but I wanted to ask some thoughts on electric 5 ton that has the hydraulics Pulling the wedge from the front Vs. a gas splitter that pushes from behind the wedge and which would be best for forging some stock that I have .75" to 1" thick 52100 bearings and races.

I would assume that the one pushing the wedge would be strongest but its also a bit more expensive and larger than I have room for at my garage based shop.

Thoughts?

Bigger is always better when it comes to forging presses. I don't know that I'd trust the electric one to work for long, but I reserve the right to be totally wrong!

If I were you I would look at Uncle Al's press (or any others, but I believe his is the most economical). I gave quite a bit of thought to the idea of converting a log splitter but in the end the forging press wasn't that much more expensive, and when I factored in the time and cost of converting it, it just made more sense to get something purpose built.

yeah if you buy new your waisting money you could have used to build a purpuse built unit that will handle the workload if you can get a used spliter it might be worth converting it