Built a new welding forge, learned some things

I bought a pyrometer for my welding setup, and discovered that I was only getting to the bottom edge of welding temps. After a failed experiment with a 2 inch blown burner (it would get up to about 2375 and begin burning back up the burner tube) I decided to rebuild the whole thing.

I had a piece of 1/4 in wall 12" pipe left over from some other project. I cut two holes about 16 inches apart and built what I'm, calling a a two burner, common rail setup. I fired it for the first time today, I still haven't built the doors, but I let it run a while to drive off the moisture in the liner, and then turned on the pyrometer to check my temperature. The meter read under 1000 degrees, which was a disappointment :( . So I adjusted some things and let it run. It got up to about 1350, and I thought, that can't be right, it looks a lot hotter than that! I checked the meter and it's reading in C! When I tried to flip it to F, it showed 0.0 degrees.

So I learned at least 3 things today. 1, the meter defaults to C when it powers up. 2, the meter only displays up to 2000, independent of the scale. 3, my eye is pretty good. 4, I think the new forge will work just fine :D .

Now for doors.

Geoff

I bought a pyrometer for my welding setup, and discovered that I was only getting to the bottom edge of welding temps. After a failed experiment with a 2 inch blown burner (it would get up to about 2375 and begin burning back up the burner tube) I decided to rebuild the whole thing.

I had a piece of 1/4 in wall 12" pipe left over from some other project. I cut two holes about 16 inches apart and built what I'm, calling a a two burner, common rail setup. I fired it for the first time today, I still haven't built the doors, but I let it run a while to drive off the moisture in the liner, and then turned on the pyrometer to check my temperature. The meter read under 1000 degrees, which was a disappointment :( . So I adjusted some things and let it run. It got up to about 1350, and I thought, that can't be right, it looks a lot hotter than that! I checked the meter and it's reading in C! When I tried to flip it to F, it showed 0.0 degrees.

So I learned at least 3 things today. 1, the meter defaults to C when it powers up. 2, the meter only displays up to 2000, independent of the scale. 3, my eye is pretty good. 4, I think the new forge will work just fine :D .

Now for doors.

Geoff

pics brother Geoff pics !! yes we've all seen a forge but we still want pics !! its in our forging genes !!

my forge pyrometer defaults at 200C , if its the same as mine hit the F and it'll ramp up with the forge.......

• 3 weeks later...

this is relevant to my interests ;-)

Im planning to spend the next year or two focusing HEAVILY on making damascus.

I have a vertical forge that I've used for the past 8 years that does the job, but could be better.

pics, please!

And here you go

IMG_0099 (800x533).jpg

IMG_0100 (800x533).jpg

IMG_0101 (800x533).jpg

IMG_0102 (800x533).jpg

This weeks proceeds, from the bottom 2 "W" blanks, probably a hunter and a pocket bowie, 14" of "W"'s ready to flip, 24" of 1 inch "W"'s ready to 4 way and then flip, and top 14" of flipped "W"'s. All of this was no flux welding in the new forge.

IMG_0103 (800x533).jpg

Geoff