black seax

GEzell

Stats:

Blade made of 2 opposing twists of 1084 and 203e, framed with 203e, framed with W1, 7 5/16" long, 1 5/16" wide, .29" thick. Handle is 5400 year old bog oak, sheath is leather with bronze fittings and brass rivets and rings. Overall length is 13 7/16".

Not based on any particular original, but hopefully captures the spirit of the originals.

DSCN0216_zpshyeco7m1.jpg

DSCN0215_zpsuvsvuooo.jpg

Some of the making of this seax can be seen in this thread.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Good grief, George!
I think I like the sheath even more than I like the knife. Would you mind doing a tutorial on carving the leather?

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Very very nice George

"Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes" - Tom HALL - Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon wine.

Very nice work George! That is so tastefully done, it has a spirit of it's own!

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

Damn fine sir!

Gob struck over here!

Gabriel

The fundamental cause of trouble is that the stupid are cocksure, while the intelligent are full of doubt. -Bertrand Russell, philosopher
follow me on Instagram @raggedravenforge

Another HELL YEAH !!!! B)

If ya can't be good don't git caught  !!                                        People who say stuff can't be done need to

git the hell outta the way of people who do stuff   !!!

Show me a man who is called an expert by his peers         

And I will show you a good man to listen to ......

Show me a man who calls himself an expert

and I will show you an egotistical asshole...............!!

Thanks guys!

Good grief, George!
I think I like the sheath even more than I like the knife. Would you mind doing a tutorial on carving the leather?

Some of the sheath-making is covered in this thread, but I'll see about putting together a tutorial that covers it better, as I skipped documenting a good bit of the process.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Stunning

The smith also sitteth by the anvil,

And fighteth with the heat of the furnace,

And noise of the hammer and the anvil is ever in his ears,

And his eyes look still upon the pattern of the thing that he maketh,

He setteth his mind to finish his work,

And waitethto polish it perfectly.

-Ecclesiasticus

Some of the sheath-making is covered in this thread, but I'll see about putting together a tutorial that covers it better, as I skipped documenting a good bit of the process.

Thanks!

I keep coming back to look at this seax. I saw it for sale on you fb page and thought, "Man, somebody is getting this for a steal!!" I've seen knives that weren't half as nice go for that much or more. Too bad the mass production of knives is playing havoc on what nice handmade knives (such as this) are actually worth.

I mean all of this as a compliment of course. Thanks again!

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

that is way cool! I love it. the e203 looks good, in contrast. I have wanted to use it as you did, in the middle. great stuff.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs