IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Robert D.

NOT my KITH Knife

Ok. so first off, I am new here, registered about a month ago or so, This makes my first post, so it HAS too include some work pics.

I have been doing this very addictive hobby now since January.

When I saw the KITH area, I went back through all the years listed, and was totally blown away by the concept and the works, after seeing that the current year one was still going on, I knew I HAD to do something for it even though I only had 2 months or so to get something put together for it.

While looking in my shop, I noticed this blade, having done a bit of research on Puukko's I realized while the main bladeshape was not exact, as it had already been fully flat grinded, and had a slight recurve to it and it has a ricasso, the tang was near exactly what I would need to use to practice making a handle on a Puuko, as up till now, I have made most of my knives for Paracord handles so in order to feel what I was producing would be up to scratch, I knew i needed some practice doing handles with wood. This makes the second wood handled knife I have ever made.

So here is my first attempt at using wood and brass in a handle, I plan to go a similar route with my Puukko for the KITH, I have one other that is very similar to this one but with a different handle configuration then this one as far as the layers. This one is made of O1 tool steel, Its still not complete, as it needs the handle to be treated and fully sharpened and then polished, but I feel I need to put something out there for everyone to see that I have done recently.

20150523_215230.jpg20150523_215147.jpg

Welcome aboard!

The knife looks good. If the handle had a more teardrop profile and some taper it would resemble a puukko in many ways. Not all of them have that 1/3 or 1/4 proportion between spine and edge bevel. It is not unheard of to have puukkos with full flat grind.

Yeah, the one I work on tomorrow I am going to try for a closer to puukko shaped handle, that one the blade shape is much closed to a puukko even if its quite a bit long. Been stockpiling blades for wooden handles so once I had the ability to buy wood ( have a limited monthly budget for this little side project ) I would have plenty of pieces to work on.

But I love this hobby, Blows my mind every time I look at something I have made, and then look at all the raw materials around my shop I used to make it with...

Ohhh yeah, I forgot, the handle wood is Hickory. spaced out mentioning that.

J.S.

I decided to try to shape the handle a bit more after your suggestion. This is how it turned out, I thought I liked it before, but now I REALLY like this knife.

20150526_054938.jpg

I'd say that was a good change. It seems to flow better now. Are both woods hickory? Sap wood and heart wood to get the different colors?

Yeah both are hickory, not sure if they are sap vs heart wood though. But yeah, it definitely looks better this way, and in the hand it feels more secure and tight. very nimble little blade.

I have been calling it " Grandpa's fishing knife " as thats what it makes me think of when holding it.

I am quite excited now.

Just ordered my 1084/15N20 from NJSB, Going to give pattern welding a shot for my KITH blade, Hoping I can pull off a full blade billet for this, Otherwise it will have PW fittings at the least depending on how much I am able to forgeweld.