• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Brian Dougherty

An Indiana Puukko

This is my first attempt at a puukko, and I didn’t really know much about them when I started. My research lead me to conclude that a lot of variability is allowed, so I took a few ‘Liberties’ with the style. I hope this holds up to the KITH standards. I haven’t made many knives yet, and learn a lot with each one. (This is #6)

Puukko%201%20A_zpsfn9i9ekv.jpg

I added a bit of file-work at the base of the spine. I didn’t want to detract from the interesting diamond geometry, but I felt that 1” of textured surface would be an advantage for a utility knife born in a seafaring culture.

I also played with the pommel shape a bit to try to create something that would be easier to draw from a tight fitting sheath. I’m not sure this idea was a win. What is that adage about not tinkering with proven knife designs?

Puukko%201%20C_zpsxg7pihxg.jpg

The blade is made from 5/8” round W1 that has been differentially quenched in brine and tempered at 400F. This was my first time forging W1. I had hoped for more activity with the hamon, but I’ll keep at it.

The bolster is the only piece of mokume gane that I have made so far. It was a trial piece I made back in December, and was sitting on the bench staring at me when I was trying to design the handle for this knife.

Puukko%201%20B_zpsm1hnqkss.jpg

The handle wood is a piece of redwood burl. I figured a North American puukko should have a wood that is as distinctive to the place of origin as the Baltic Birch of its ancestors J

The sheath was also a first for me. I have never tried to stitch the leather around a wood core. I guess it turned out OK.

I hope the recipient is happy with this knife. I’m sure I’ll look back one day and think it looks rather amateurish Thanks!

Puukko%201%20D_zpsyjx3v1mp.jpg

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Like 1

Oh yes, that is one sweet puukko!

I think the choices you made where you departed from "tradition" are all great. Beautiful blade & lines and spot on material choices. We can add a new maakuntapuukko to the list B). Maakunta = county.

Thank you gentlemen.

J.S. I can think of no higher honor than your approval. I followed your tutorial for the forging. I found it very helpful.

Kiitos.Olen kunnia.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Here is a pic of the back side of the sheath. The suspension ring is made from 1/8" brass. I wrapped it around a 3/4" rod to make a ring, and then flattened a section to make it "D" shapped. the ends were soldered together once I attached it to the sheath.

Puukko%201%20E_zps0dssm7bd.jpg

Good job! I've seen many experienced makers who can't - or choose not to, for some reason - do it that well. And this is your first...

:ph34r:

Dude!

Pat your self on the back!

This is complete... soup to nuts. A lot of professionals have problems learning how to finish that last 10%.

Grats!

-Gabriel