• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Hloh

Recycled puko

Hey!

I made this one from scraps: Blade from scrap piece of pattern welded steel that I take from my friend shop.

Unknown wood from trash pile behind gardens. Fittings are soldered sheath that i forge from 17th century wrought bars that my friend save when old prison was tear down.

I try to made this knife thin and light as possible to easy everyday carrying....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 2

very nice! i need to try that handle shape, looks like it will fit in any pocket

I like it a lot! It has some Wirkkala elements to it. Was that by chance? Great textures, good looking wood, excellent proportions and lines. Its a beauty!

Always a pleasure to see your knives! Who knows, maybe one day I will have the pleasure of owning one ;)

Not so much, I have few years before original Wirkkala in hand and that handle shape catch me.

In this opportunity I decide to try different things than do usually, and this idea is offered itself.

Man, that is elegant!

Thanks for showing us how to reinvent the puuko!

-Gabriel

Edited by grpaavola

So, because I lost one needle decide to make stitchless sheath :)

This is my first attempt so I use scrap leather (that unfortunatelly is not good for shaping so tip and mouth are not perfect)

I use there one side wood insert to fortify whole sheath.

If you decide that this one is ugly enought for you I´ll look for better piece of leather and made new one....

a.jpg

b.jpg

I've always admired your resourcefulness, Hloh, and this is one good example of that.

I think you should stick with this sheath, just for the story alone.

Wow! The handle profile is slim but not unbecommingly so. I love the shape to it! And the sheath is by no means ugly! I think it is fantastic B) I'm still trying to figure out how the seam works, but it looks great!

Neat! Thanks for posting the link to the tutorial, I would have never figured that one out on my own.

Thanks for that! I think I will have to try this myself :)

such a beautiful knife and sheath. this is just the kind of work that has inspired my own, I would proudly wear it in that sheath if it were mine