• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
GEzell

laminated puukko

I've had this design for a puukko on paper for 3 years now, thinking I'd eventually get around to making it... last weekend I gave a demo for the Alabama Forge Council, and decided to do a san-mai laminate type blade, and what better type of knife to make>

DSCN0223_zpse0eir1vn.jpgDSCN0225_zpsfvfujrlu.jpg

It was the first san-mai I've made in, let's just say a very very long time, and looking back on it I should have used thicker pieces of wrought iron for the sides, or forged it closer to shape. Quite a bit more wrought got ground away than planned. The core is W2 and handle is masur birch.

closeup_zpswsdbeakp.jpg

I still need to put a final finish on the blade before I epoxy it and pein the tang, and it is already frighteningly sharp....

• Like 1

Hell yes :)

This is fantastic, I actually really like the way the wrought ended up, its like a lake or other body of water suspended in the middle of the blade!

I like the design. I have the same issue with sanmei, in that I often grind too much of the outer laminate away. That handle is perfect.

kc

You've obviously done your homework when it comes to puukkos!

In my opinion it is really difficult to make a "ponsi" or pommel like that. This one is very good. Beautiful blade + proportions, also.

Edited by J.S.Voutilainen

All done except for a proper hanger....

DSCN0239_zpsdk2nhk2l.jpg

DSCN0238_zpsgeplysjx.jpg

And yes, that is one part of a corby, seemed like a good way to cap the tang....:)

DSCN0241_zpswddtd321.jpg