WIP big Pocking sword

I got this guy almost finished up, I should have it all done before I leave to teach my class at Peters valley later this week, some of you might remember this blade form a earlier thread, I was originally only commissioned for the blade. However after finishing the blade the customer designed the fittings and me to extend the commission. It took some time to get started on it due to my rather hectic scheduled over the last few months. as always with a customers design it seems easy until you need to make it.. the guard is fabricated from around 20 individual pieces and to make the pommel took four parts and I needed to make three fixtures to finish it. the grip is formed from sycamore and I am doing a woven basket weave wrap from leather.

stats

58" overall

42" blade

6lb

4"balance point

let me know what you all think

thanks

MP

build1.jpg

build2.jpg

build3.jpg

build4.jpg

build5.jpg

build6.jpg

build7.jpg

build8.jpg

build9.jpg

build10.jpg

nice looking wrap! I'll have to learn how to...can't wait to see it done! the whole hilt is prety amazing!

that thing has as many pieces as the guard on a jian (something I have always avoided due to THE FEAR.)

looks really good, Matthew. Solid work. impressive.

kc

edited to add: forgot to mention, the wrap looks killer, and it also makes my head hurt.

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

wrap is finished! It just needs sharpening and a final polish, should have it 100 percent done tomorrow.

the blade was hardened in the salt with an air quench and tempered in the vertical kiln. that is the one nice thing with this L6 it air hardens to 63RC keeps the warping down a bit. about the only nice thing about working with it ,,, but it makes SUCH a strong blade with the right heat treat.

build11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks awesome, Matt, It's got a really nice look to it. How come so many pieces?

thanks guys this was a fun one!

Looks awesome, Matt, It's got a really nice look to it. How come so many pieces?

ended up with so many pieces because that was the easiest way i could think of to make the customers design. for example if I had forged it from one piece (a real pain but I think doable) doing the bronze inserts and getting the ends turned nicely would have been almost impossible.

MP

17th century?

this one isn't really based on any historical sword.

Great Sword! I'd love to hear more about how you did that great wrap!

the wrap is not all that complicated, a piece of thin leather is cut to the width of the grip and a bit extra on length, this is then slit in to 1/4" strips leaving a small section uncut at one end. 1/4 wide strips of thin leather were cut and dyed an off color from the other piece. the uncut strip is glued down and the off color strip is glued over it, the off color strip is woven around the handle in an over/under pattern with new strips being spliced in as needed.

MP

triumph! that is one heck of a sword. great work. Hope the customer is as enthusiastic as we are about the outcome!

• 3 weeks later...