Cook

Johnson NA Gas Furance's

Hi all,it's been a bit,but getting back into the swing of thing 's since my dad,but he's doing real good.

Not sure if this is the right place to post,But here it is,I need a little help with these Johnson Furnace's.

On both doors there marked with raised lettering .... 142-5

The one on the left is a Annealing furnace

Furnace # 175

Serial # 380

BTU/HR> Input 35000

The one on the right is the Blast furnace

Furnace # 142

Serial # 1103

BTU/HR.> Input 200000

I have been searching on how to convert these to LP/Pro-pain, I no it can be done,I just need some plane's or what not. I even called the manufacture and they wanted to sell me new one's and they were no help. The other to pic's are of the doors.

Anyone here that can point me in a good direction.....?

IMG_3038.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

Could you take any photos of where the existing burner apparatus enters the furnace? From the looks of it, you might not need to do much work, although I would personally add a thicker liner to take up some of the space. A piece of 1.5 or 2" kaowool would do the trick, and help with the thermal efficiency a bit too (not that it really needs it, with what it was designed for)...

I would think that you only need to change the size of the orifice for the conversion, a local HVAC tech should be able to tell you how much smaller you need to go.

@John,I can do that this week end...

@Jim,ok I have a good friend that has his own business, I will ask him...

I have a Johnson furnace that i converted to propane just by changing the sizing of the intake hose, the end that connects to the propane tank,it works great on propane.

I have a blacksmith friend who has one of those converted to propane, but isn't too impressed with it... it takes a long time to come up to temperature, doesn't really get that hot, and for the work he does isn't really the right shape. However, I can get pictures in the next few days of it, if you like.

@

I have a Johnson furnace that i converted to propane just by changing the sizing of the intake hose, the end that connects to the propane tank,it works great on propane.

That sounds hopeful for me, does it look like the one's I have?

And what size tank do you use with it?

Edited by Cook

I have a blacksmith friend who has one of those converted to propane, but isn't too impressed with it... it takes a long time to come up to temperature, doesn't really get that hot, and for the work he does isn't really the right shape. However, I can get pictures in the next few days of it, if you like.

Yeah that sounds great to get pic's of his,and what size tank does he use?

I will get more pic's,Sorry John is was a very busy weekend, but I will get more pic's,I realy want to get these up and running, I have a lot of work for these.

I have a buddy, and we have about 40ft of 4142 or it's 4140 (I think, I no it's for making hammer's out of) that we are making Japanese Sword Hammer's out of.

Edited by Cook