OK, my brain is fried this afternoon, so I thought I’d ask a crazy question. I know a few of the people who hang out here are involved with archeology, so I thought this would be an interesting place to ask…   My chosen profession is an engineer. I’ve spent most of my career working in the new product development world, and most of that has been on innovative projects for small start-up companies that were swinging for the fence so to speak in terms of new markets. It’s been fun, and I have been a part of some big successes as well of some huge flops.   I don’t want to do this forever, and I’ve given up my desires of being a wealthy man. I just want to enjoy the time I have on this planet, and work with my hands. By the time I am 50 (about 6 years from now) I’ll be out of debt, and my kids will be out of the house. For several years now, I have been considering a new career. (No, Not full time bladesmith)   I could probably keep the lights on and fridge full by doing odd jobs and consulting work, but I like to dream bigger than that. I’ve found it enjoyable to think about my “Second career” over the last few years when my work life gets tough.   One thing that attracts me is archaeology. Early in my life, it was a close second choice to engineering. I have zero interest in getting a PhD, and becoming a professor. I also don’t expect this to earn me a living wage. However are there ways for amateurs to get involved with archeology? (I’m not expecting anything glamorous) Are there ways to do it that don’t cost me anything out of pocket?   Thanks...