Sign in to follow this  
Irl Smith

Is this magnetite?

It has a fine grain and is attracted to a magnet. Found quite a bit of it in concretion or nodule form. No Iron oxide (rust) in the sample.

20150605_152831.jpg

Could be. Where are you? Magnetite occurs in many different forms in different places. A check of the local geologic maps might be a good thing. Since it's magnetic it's got iron in it anyway, so you can use it as ore. Might be maghemite. Doesn't really matter if you have enough of it to try and smelt.

I'm in Western Montana. I'm tempted to have it assayed as it looks to have some small silverish metal crystals in it, but would be willing to fill up a large flat rate box and send some to someone to try out. The only caveat would be for them to start a WIP thread on it.

Edited by Irl Smith

I'd go for the assay. Magnetite can have all sorts of other goodies in it out there that may outweigh its value as iron ore. Back east, not so much, just occasional titanium.

I have plenty so if anyone wants to try some let me know.

I was wrong about there being no rust in the sample. The larger piece does have some.

I would be interested in doing a WIP smelt with this ore. I plan on at least two smelts this fall, one with a proven ore and another experimental.

I would be interested in doing a WIP smelt with this ore. I plan on at least two smelts this fall, one with a proven ore and another experimental.

PM me your shipping address and I should be able to get it mailed out this week. I will be getting up into the mountains on Monday to pick some up. How much do you need for a smelt?

PM sent.

Here are some pics of today's expedition.

20150608_140915.jpg

20150608_140919.jpg

20150608_141811.jpg

Definitely interesting formations!

Wish I had a stamp mill handy!

20150609_181529.jpg

20150609_181542.jpg

Looks like decent stuff! It will crush up easier if you roast it first. Doesn't look as dense as the hard rock magnetite I have, looks more like hematite.

It took some doing to break it open. The interesting thing is that the nodule attracts a magnet pretty strongly while the material it's found in does not. I think this may be a vein of hematite with magnetite nodules. Looking forward to seeing what Brandon P. can do with it.