I’ve made a few knives via stock removal, some from files and rasps but mostly O1 steel. In October 2014, I went to my first hammer-in and knew immediately I had to try to forge a blade. I used a gas forge with side arm burner built from plans at zoellerforge.com. No anvil yet, just a piece of railroad track. Here is my first attempt at hammering (and the first work I’ve posted here). Started with 1/4”x1” 5160 I bought at the hammer-in. Ground the bevel up to 600 grit then polished. Finished it with walnut furniture.

0771DB96-3264-4AC5-B5BA-54EA5B17F08D_zps

CD221564-1517-49C3-8DC4-D5704618DB15_zps

D3AB9797-2E34-4303-9F69-986AF4449062_zps

FullSizeRender_zps842abc4f.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Awesome! Looks like a very useful knife. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks an awful lot like a nessmuk style blade to me.

Edited by Collin Miller

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

I finished the wood with 3-4 coats of Casey's Tru-Oil. I sanded it down to 400 grit before applying the first coat, then wet sanded with linseed oil on 400 grit paper between the remaining coats. Finally, very lightly buffed with a loose-leaf wheel.

you are off and running. that looks quite good. I don't think any (or not many) of us had some freak natural talent for this (except maybe JD and Jake, but it's in Jake's genes). We all started at the bottom, and have worked our way up from there. Attention to process, listening humbly and gratefully to those who came before, and a lot of practice (which is fun) have been the things that work for me. Maybe some of that will work for you. Maybe not. Welcome!

Oh, for me, taking pictures and looking at them on the screen helps a lot. It lets me see the fine details that I normally miss when I am in the shop. You get past some of the automatic processing stuff that makes you see things like you want them to be, and instead pics let you (me) see things as the actually are. Really good tool.

anyway, Welcome. Keep us posted.

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

Thanks again, guys!

Professor, that sounds like sage advice to me. So far, I've had a few experienced knife makers take the time and interest to help a rookie. Maybe someday I'll be a haggard ol' smith and pay it forward.