dennis mcadams

Bader grinder basic set-up

I've been running a B3 for a number of years now but after a move the ceramic platen liner broke off with the platen off the arm. I've had two belts come apart at running speed. I got bitten by the 36 grit thankfully now too badly. Here's my question do you guys run your platen slightly forward of the guild rollers or behind? I just can't remember. Thanks in advance, Denis

I run mine as even as I can. My ceramic liner is also broken and would like to find a replacement one.

I have been using a thin 1/4" granite tile as a platen liner for about two years. It's plenty hard, has not grooved or hollowed. It is a little chippy on the sharp edges.

FWIW

Geoff

If you can't figure it out. Hit up Nathan Roberts on FB.
He sells Baders and I'm sure he knows the ins and outs of set up.

Thanks guys, I'm just trying to determine if it's due to aging belts or the area where the belt first crosses onto the platen that's causing it. Jesus I just ordered one to replace mine if everything goes OK I will send you the information.

I have been running my KMG platen slightly foreward. It makes the platen run hot, but I noticed I would get a flatter grind.

Also there is a guy who machines platens for KMG'S that are 2 piece. One piece has galleys milled into it with an o-ring, and then a cover which acts as the platen you grind against, all made of heat treated D2. It allows you to run a little fountain pump to make the platen water cooled. With the platen forward and a belt running tightly against it, he says it maintains a cool 80 degrees.

He may make one for Bader grinders as well. It's the same guy who makes the 3,5, and 7' radius platens.

Who is this guy? I wouldn't mind a 36" radius platen to mimic a six-foot wheel grind...

I believe that is Nathan the Machinist.
I have one of his flat plattens and I think you can also run compressed air to it to keep it cool.
I don't run either but its a well made and very flat platten.

Yeah Nathan Carothers makes some great plattens and a really nifty bolt on platen cooler (run mine with a 5$ harbor freight water pump sitting in a 5 gallon bucket of water)

wha.....water cooled large radius platens......thats up my street for sure.

and water cooled flat platen as well. great info thanks for the link.

I run mine as even as I can. My ceramic liner is also broken and would like to find a replacement one.

Jesus,

It looks like High Temp Tools (formerly owned by Darrin Ellis) is still selling pyroceram platen liners here.

-d

I have just purchased a large radius platen , thanks for the head s up.

Np. Which size did you go with?