his and hers

Kevin Colwell

Here are a couple of knives that I am making as part of an order for a wedding party.

I will post a wip for one of these later. I am making 9 of them, but they are almost all the same, so I won't post all of them.

These two are for the bride and groom.

The people in this wedding party are all into taking knife survival courses, camping, hiking, etc. So, the groom worked with me to make what he thought would be the ideal knife for such situations.

80CrV2 steel, thick back, heavy distal taper, convexed edge with a flat grind.

highly-figured curly/birdseye rock maple

textured and blued 80crv2 guard

heat treated and blued 80crv2. - one of the big parts of this design was to make the knife able to double as a hammer, if needed. Don't laugh. I don't mean the blade. The butt cap is heat treated as one would treat the face of a hammer, and the tang has steps on it that the butt cap seats against. The angle of the butt cap is such that you can drive the thing down flat against a target with the knife held comfortably in your hand.

The handle is a mortised construction, with two sided glued and pinned. I need to pin the bride's knife, but that won't take much time.

Oh, and they wanted the knives to have some of the forged texture on them, so I went for cleaning the scale off of the spine and ricasso with an angle grinder. It leaves a really nice texture.

d0f78017-ab9a-410e-92bd-9699e089057b.jpg

His and Hers

68a1bd46-ef33-441b-bead-5f005dd18bc0.jpg

His

IMG_0609.jpg

Hers

IMG_0602.jpg

His

IMG_0599.jpg

Hers

IMG_0593.jpg

His

IMG_0597.jpg

Hers

IMG_0595.jpg

Together.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcomed.

Kevin

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

I love the forged flats look. Great looking knives Kevin! I had an order for a wedding not too long and damn near went crazy with the repetitiveness of making the same blades.... And I only had to do 4! Good luck! :P

A "survival knife" guy who doesn't insist on full tang?!?! haha

Great job, Kevin. I can seriously vouch for the usefulness of a makeshift hammer in the woods.

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Collin - I talked him out of the full tang. Maybe I shouldn't have, they would be easier to make. ooops.

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

9 Blades for the wedding party? At the speed I work, they would need to make the order 2 years out... good stuff though! I agree with Austin. The forged flats good great.

Edited by Wes Detrick

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

Thanks Wes. These are knives on a budget, so they are quick(er). The really nice wood, and the heat treated butt caps set them apart a little, but they are nowhere near top-shelf. There is a serious focus on durability and balance with cutting ability, so they are generalists that don't excel at much except not being broken.