A kitchen knife for my daughter

My daughter turned 20 this weekend - oh I'm getting old ......a couple of years ago she found a piece of Techstab in my workshop and liked it so much she put a small pink note on it ....." when you make a knife for me I want you to use this piece" .......

I forged the blade from stainless 4034 and carbon steel ( uddeholm 20 c ) for the core .......handle is Techstab, G10 and titanium ......leather sheath is not that japanese - but its does the job.......

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by larsjacobsen

Yes sir, I know how you feel about the age thing. I'd would like to ask about the colors you have going, mid-part of blade? Temper?

Gary

Yes sir, I know how you feel about the age thing. I'd would like to ask about the colors you have going, mid-part of blade? Temper?

Gary

Hi Gary

The line you can see is actually not a temperline but a difference in the structure of the steel. When Stainless and carbon steel is forgewelded some carbon will travel ( migrate ) from the carbon steel and into the stainless .....or so I have read somewhere ....

The zone between the 2 steel will show off different types of structures depending on the types of steel. I have not done any scientific studies into this - but I can see that different steel give different results ............

Here are some examples

image.jpg

1.4034 stainless and 1095

image.jpg

316 stainless + pure nickel and a core of 1095

image.jpg

Aebl and 1095

Edited by larsjacobsen

Wow. I am blown away by both the knife, and the effect you get using the stainless with the carbon core. Is this welding process something you would be willing to show as a WIP?