Swimming in Ophelias river...

I have just finished these 3 kitchen knives.

The pattern is my variation of maidens hair that I call Ophelias River ,as it reminds me of the painting by Sir John everett Millias, or a triply and slightly disturbing derelict version of it that I remember being fascinated by as a kid.

Knives are 6 7 and 8 inch blades with burl walnut and cow and buffalo horn .

I have been on a role witht he kitchen knives and will have a break for a while after these. I have a full summer ahead.

18733065779_47b9a03389_z.jpg

18733065779_47b9a03389_z.jpg

18913975392_a755bb43f3_z.jpg

18298602203_1a7a4c7758_z.jpg

18913989092_c611730f2c_z.jpg

• Like 1

looks nice. I like the little tweak to the pattern. I don't know the painting, so I will check it out. glad to hear you have a full summer. best,

kc

That pattern is beautiful! Is the distinct contrast between the layers in the photos a result of the lighting or is that how it looks IRL? What steels are you using? Regular FeCl3 etch?

Edited by andrew zimba

I can see it...

I am familiar with the painting as my wife's first major was art history and she loves the Pre-Raphaelites...

maxresdefault.jpg

thanks Y'all.

the mix is 15n20 and en42J ( as close as we get in the Uk to 1080) etched in ferric . I wish I could capture pieces on the camera as they look in real life but my skills are not up there. At least this way people are pleasantly surprised when they purchase something I have photo'd.