https://youtu.be/TieFpkm5o0s

The careful viewer will notice my ugly mug in this preview. So I can now anounce I will be on the first episode airing on the 22nd at 10PM

MP

had a buddy text me and tell me this was gonna be on. I am excited about this show. I just hope there isnt tooooooo much drama and it is more about how its really done.

Eddie

As far as I could tell the only "drama" is from the nature of the competition.

MP

Looking forward to this! I can only imagine the feeling of having a blade break like that :wacko: That did look like some monstrous grain though...

Good luck (yeah, yeah, it's already filmed) to everyone!

MP

Well then it should be great entertainment! Got my it on the top my record list!

Just finished watching. Congrats on the win Matt!

Nice sword, and definitely the cleanest first blade of the bunch.

Awesome work!

-d

Congratulations! I was proud to see that seax blade come out the best. I was hoping the final project would be a European sword, but that katana rocked.

That was no contest. You dominated, Matt!

I didn't expect so many issues from "Some of the best bladesmiths in the world" seriously, all of the bad grinds and the cracks from those other guys, it's kind of embarrassing. I know it's stressful and there's really tight time constraints, but if they really were "some of the best" then they could have done better, like Matt did. At least Matt showed that some bladesmiths really are skilled, and that there is real merit to hand forged blades.

Edited by Collin Miller

Congrats Matt!

Like anything on TV, it would be easy to sit back and point out how unrealistic of a situation the producer's created. However, I found it to be low on the drama scale, and an enjoyable way to spend an hour after a very long day at work. I'll watch the next episode.

I'd love to know more about the behind the scenes, but I suspect you are prohibited from discussing?

Matthew....great job on the knife and sword. To me the time constraints were tough. Maybe that played a factor in the HUGE grain that existed in the blade that had the tip break off (forgot the name of the smith), cause no wonder it broke. I could see the grain from across the room on TV!!!

Seemed like you had the thermal cycling and geometry aspects of knife/sword making down! Good on you!

Serrations? Really? Just entertaining enough to watch episode 2. Congratulations on the win!

Good win, Matt! You handled the pressure much better than

the other contestants, and your blade showed it.

Bill

That was some awesome work, Matt. I haven't been over here in a while but had to come see what people were saying about the show. I told my wife last night, 'that guy seems familiar,' she thought I was full of it lol. I have to ask did you get to keep the blades you made or did they keep them?

WAY TO GO MATT!!

Eddie

What Bill said. You owned the show, dude!

Thanks all! It was. Great experience and a ton of fun to do. Keep watching I know some of the other guys and wow ... It is going to be good!

Unfortunately they keep the blades ... Sad I would have like to get good pic of them at the least.

Thanks all! It was. Great experience and a ton of fun to do. Keep watching I know some of the other guys and wow ... It is going to be good!

Unfortunately they keep the blades ... Sad I would have like to get good pic of them at the least.

I noticed some recognisable faces in the intro to the show. I'm pretty sure I saw Mace Vitale and J.D. Smith in there...

I guess I can understand them keeping the knife, but the sword was your materials in your shop. That kind of sucks. It a real shame you didn't get to even take any good photos of them. I would have like to see a little more detail that was hard to make out on TV.

But hey, I'd probably end up calling it a fair trade for the experience.

Congrats again on the win man,

-d

Unfortunately Youtube says the uploader has not made the video available for viewing in my country (the US territory American Samoa) but congratulations anyway Matthew.

Unfortunately no one seems to be showing it up here.

MP

Just got to watch it and thought it was a great show. And congrats on the win. We all busted out laughing when they announced they were going to shoot the blades of the katanas and you were like "what?"

hey Al

i couldn't get it either on regular tv .. had to down load kodi tvmc to get it streaming over the net ( what a fiasco that was ) but it worked

part that got me was when they couldn't drive Matt's knife into the barrel ( noodle armed host grrrrrrr )

Unfortunately no one seems to be showing it up here.

Great win Matt!

The show is a bit silly, with more time spent on drama, then the work you guys were doing. That was kinda sad. It would have been much better, if the shots were of the smiths explaining what they were up to a whole lot more.
While it may create some interest, the silly tests were so very "History channel lame" .
The whole shooting the blade was just plain stupid. Why not just try and chop a .50 cal barrel, as the last test. Now that would prove something ;)

Look forward to it getting a bit better.

So, the second show was about the same with the drama, but the guys made some very nice blades, less the mess ups.
The final challenge was very cool.

The Zena blade was awesome, but the simple blade won in the end.