Why did I agree to this?

Oh yeah, because money, that's why. <_<

These were not very fun to make, it felt really weird to make something without smashing on it with a hammer.

That said, I'm pretty satisfied with the finished product. They're a lot of fun to throw into wood. But I think I'm going to have to make a pattern welded La Tene style dagger to counter the effects of making a stock removal batarang.

11349114_499424680205083_1921200102_n.jpg

11349924_499424673538417_345270881_n.jpg

Edited by Collin Miller

A Stock Removal BATARANG?

For shame. Thy ancestors must be even now looking into post-mortem name change possibilities. Generations of smiths are spinning at a sufficient velocity to set up alternative energy sources.

Kinda cool though.

I think they are pretty cool. At least they are hand made. And they really work. Its things like that people will buy because they are fun and not that expensive. If you made 10 and sold them for $20-$25 each that's quick easy pocket money.

A Stock Removal BATARANG?

For shame. Thy ancestors must be even now looking into post-mortem name change possibilities. Generations of smiths are spinning at a sufficient velocity to set up alternative energy sources.

Kinda cool though.

lol That's exactly how I felt when working on these. Just came in from stacking billets for a pattern welded, "vampire hunter's cane sword" commission though, so it's all good now. I've still got the old-school bladesmithing mojo. :D

I think they are pretty cool. At least they are hand made. And they really work. Its things like that people will buy because they are fun and not that expensive. If you made 10 and sold them for $20-$25 each that's quick easy pocket money.

"Pocket money"? What such form of currency do you speak of? All of the money that comes into my possession soon leaves to Aldo Bruno, Tru Grit, or to the welding shop where I buy coal!

But yeah, I actually sold these for $60 apiece ($20 per hour) If I had some more tools, like a CNC plasma cutter or water jet, then I could easily do them in about a half hour apiece and be able to sell them for about $25. The thing is I don't enjoy making them at all, I would much rather make knives, swords, and axes, and as a young business, I know if I advertise batarangs then I wouldn't be able to sell my knives, swords, and axes.

So basically, I'm decidedly out of money because it's more important to me that I do what I love. ;)

Edited by Collin Miller

Once upon a time I would have thought that the coolest thing, can you make a matching belt as well. Another once upon a time I would have been straight to forging inquisition just to find out how many strokes with a pritchel switch I needed just for looking at them.

varifocal rose tinted glasses are the trick, lets ya see stuff with a different view.

Those look pretty good! A buddy of mine saw Bruce Wayne cranking 'em out on a stone-wheel bench grinder in the first movie and commented that he better be gathering them up after each battle, because the time going into making them would be significant. :D

What steel did you use?

Also, get on the LaTene dagger!