First I would like to say hello, I´m a "new" member (lurking around since february) and this is my first post.

My goal is to make my very own hand forged knife, so I had to upgrade from my 10kg / 22lbs piece of railroad track "anvil" to a something little more massive.. and I came across this PFP anvil. I bought it for 110 euros (apprx. 123 USD), it has a weight of 45kg / 99lbs. It has a nice rebound, a clean and flat face with only minor marks on it, the edges are also in decent shape and I´m quite pleased with it!

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

It is also marked as:

EINHEITS

P.F.P.

AMBOSS

IMG_0667.JPG

I found this strange, because I have been looking for a suitable anvil for quite some time and the P.F.P´s are usually marked as ORIGINAL P.F.P.

Also it seems that someone tried to reshape a round Pritchel hole into a square Hardie hole??

IMG_0668.JPG

Anyone knows what the EINHEITS stands for?

Thank you.

Oddly enough, Einheits is German for "original." ;) Good find! As for the hardy hole, I think they were punched (or drilled) round and then broached square. On this one they obviously did not broach it all the way through, but as to why, I have no idea.