Fantasy based Longsword- a long time coming

I used to post under the name Will S. on Sword Forum International (back when it saw a lot of action from other hobby makers and craftsmen alike) and one of my final posts hinted at a longsword I was working on that comes from a work of fiction. Now I follow this board and hope people here don't mind me posting what feels like a long-long-time update to that post.

While I started making this in 2007, life happened and I was without access to a shop for 7 years. Now I finally found the time and have the access to see it completed.

Let's see if anyone can recognize this sword from their childhood (if you were a child in the 1970's and 80's)...

The sword itself is an angus trim bare blade, with all mild steel fittings over a hickory core carved grip.

Stats:

Blade length: 35 3/16"

Total length: 45 3/4"

POB: 1 5/8" from cross

COP: 13" from tip.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'll give everyone a hint. It's from the Silver Age of DC comics. Was DC's answer to Conan, but not nearly as well known, obviously. Thanks for the welcome and the compliment. This one was a learning opportunity on so many levels. Many things I'd change if I were to do it again.

I'd always connected Travis Morgan with John Carter than with Conan, but with a sword that sweet, what does it matter?

Warlord_Vol_1_11.jpg

You got it. Been wanting this sword since I was 9 years old. Coincidentally I read recently elsewhere a discussion about what would make the ultimate sword. Many opted for a longsword but didn't like the fact that it lacked the superior hand protection of a rapier. I thought of this sword immediately.

Hah! I remember seeing that issue (and probably reading it) on the comics rack of my grandfather's grocery store. There was another one of a guy who had a sword with an expanded diamond-shaped point and ricasso with a big crystal set in the ricasso I liked better, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was. This would be around 79 or 80.

Haha that's funny. The sword you are thinking of is from the same comic. The sword was called "Hellfire". I also have plans to make this one, but not quite there with my bronze casting skills.

Now that I have my shop set up, my forge parts collected and newly ready to assemble, and my DIY belt grinder 50% done, I might be able to at least make the blade. Not sure where to get a big-ass emerald, though.

image.jpg

I STILL have a Warlord action figure, lol. His cape is intact...though I'm not sure I have his helmet still. I'll have to dig it out and post a picture :D.

By the way, I remember you from SFI, and it's been a LONG time since I heard the name 'Angus Trim'!!

Edited by C.Anderson

Thanks Miles. I too, feel old, knowing that there is probably a full generation (almost two) that will not have a clue where this comes from.

• 5 months later...

Using a number of tutorials on this site and elsewhere, I completed a scabbard for the sword as well. this part is not accurate to the scabbard from the comic, as I wanted something a bit more practical/historic than a demon skull buckled rig with a .44 Automag holster ;-) Although that would be cool, too, lol. Maybe next time...

The scabbard was carved in two pieces from a poplar 1x4, and has a 16 ga. steel chape. The scabbard is lined with wool and has a nice, snug fit that allows the sword to be turned completely upside down and won't fall out.

I really enjoyed this process and will definitely be making more scabbards and more elaborate scabbards for my other swords in my very small collection.

As always, comments and criticisms welcome.

Todd

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

Awesome!!!
That is a monster. What does it weigh ??

What's up with these lines !!!!!

Great job !

Thanks Mark!

I am getting a new digital scale for Christmas, so I'll be able to post weights in a couple of weeks. If I had to guess I'd say between 3 and 4 pounds. There's quite a bit of weight in the guard... I should have made the x-guard a bit thinner to compensate for the cup and "knuckle dusters".

Thanks Miles. I too, feel old, knowing that there is probably a full generation (almost two) that will not have a clue where this comes from.

There's more than two. Those of us who were in high school in the 70's (and were Marvel fans, not DC fans....) don't have a clue!

Nice work though. Love the scabbard too. Hope to see more of your works in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

So according to my new scale, the weight of this "monster" is 4 lbs, 3 oz.

My next project is a hand and 1/2 sword that the blade, guard, and unfinished pommel weigh in at just over 2 lbs... Really looking forward to finishing this one. I'll post some pics in another thread once I can get back to it.

Thanks again everyone for the comments.