Handle stabilization - did I succeed?

Having neatly gathered all the necessary equipment, I finally decided to give handle stabilization a try. I drew the inspiriation from Ariel Salaverria's great article on the subject, and did pretty much everything the same.

I chose a nice walnut stock, completely dry and carved a handle out of it for one of my nessmuk blades. Joined the vacuum, mixed the polyesther resin and voila - everything went as expected, and when the resin started to show up in the vacuum pipe, I shut off the pump, cleaned the excess off the handle and left it to cure.

When I started to sand it next day, I was surprised. I expected something completely plastic-like, but the feel and touch of the handle was barely different than before. It seemed to be smoother and a bit harder though.

I have to admit that I never touched any stabilized wood before. Is it okay to have a wood-like feeling when sanded, or should it be more like some kind of plastic? Did something go wrong during stabilization? I'm clueless.

Thanks for the input.

should feel like wood it is just a bit more solid it should work a bit more even and slemm difrent when working it i dont know about his resin but stabilised wood does tend to buff out at a corser grit than unstabilised wood (meening i dont bother taking it to as hi a grit before buffing and i get the same or similar results)

Brandon,

Thanks for the input, I appreciate that. Ironically, I didn't have the chance to get near that unfinished handle in the past week or two, but this gives me some hope. On a side note, a fellow knifemaker gave me a good tip: if it sinks in water, it is properly impregnated.

Thanks once again.