Hi all,

This knife is the first one that I'm actually proud of despite the flaws (my mistakes). I had made the blade a while ago and was having trouble figuring out what to do for the handle so it was sitting around. When I saw Dave J's post: http://islandblacksmith.ca/2015/06/making-a-hon-yaki-nata/ I had my inspiration.

The blade is 1084 and formed by stock removal using an angle grinder for rough profiling, a drill for the pin hole, and files and sandpaper for the rest.

The bolster is copper salvaged from plumbing fittings silver soldered (poorly). I over filed the opening for the blade and as this knife was destined for the kitchen, it seemed that silver soldering it to the blade might be a good solution (fix the gap and seal it).

The handle is wood from a pallet. It has been charred to blacken and polished with beeswax. I over cut the setback for the bolster and I may yet replace the handle to improve the fit.

The pin is oceanspray (ironwood) also inspired by Dave J.

Any criticism, comments are welcome! I'd also like to thank everyone on here for providing such an amazing resource for a beginner bladesmith! Also, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics...

20150629_183033_zpsfclrzjl7.jpg

20150629_182548_zps0i1fwlsm.jpg

20150629_182617_zpsjwbl0lbb.jpg

20150629_182709_zpsnioedr58.jpg

Edited by Mike Grudzinskas

The shape is very natural and pleasing to the eye. (at least I think so :P) Great job!

Thanks for the comment! I know it's not even close to perfect fit and finish wise, but in my opinion (as a former professional chef) I nailed the geometry. It feels great in the hand and cuts great! I know it's not up to par with what the greats are posting but it's the first knife that I've made that I was proud of and where I felt the good outweighed the bad.

If that's truly your first knife, I can't wait to see what's coming up! :blink: VERY nicely done! You might be able to scrape off some of the solder with a hard brass rod filed to a chisel end. The brass won't scratch the steel, although it may leave streaks that you have to polish off later.

If that's truly your first knife, I can't wait to see what's coming up! :blink: VERY nicely done! You might be able to scrape off some of the solder with a hard brass rod filed to a chisel end. The brass won't scratch the steel, although it may leave streaks that you have to polish off later.

20150702_221836_zpsdwkdrrwa.jpg

I guess technically it wasn't my first but it was my first made after finding this site and realizing how much I had to learn. These are the knives I've made in chronological order from left to right. The first two were cut out of a brushcutter blade and have a convex edge put on them. They're good cheese knives but aren't good for much else. They still get a lot of use in my kitchen though. The first one taught me to completely profile the front of my handle scales before epoxying them on. The second I was pretty happy with at the time. The handle is finished nice and it feels good in the hand. I made the blade for the paring knife was made next but got frustrated trying to figure out the best way to finish it so it sat for a while. Then I made a friction folder blade that cracked in quench, then I made the blades for the kerambitish folder (I despise that knife but it works for it's intended task as a garden tool) and the carving knife.

Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to reply! I'll try try your suggestion with the brass rod as soon as I can get some! I'm not too worried about the streaking as it should be mostly hidden by the patina that is already starting to form.