1095, 1/4" thick, distal taper and a LONG way to go before the blade is finished. Going to be a threaded through tang, cable mokume guard and pommel. Handle material is spalted hickory.

image.jpg

I second that motion! Nice and ready to finely sanded.

Which 1095 steel did you use and what did you do to create this hamon, if I may ask?

Gary T

Thanks yall.

1095 from Aldo. And for the hamon, I uesed imperial furnace cement mixed with a dash of water. Quenched interrupted in parks 50. Looking back now I wish I would have put the clay up higher lol. I see lots of hand sanding in my future..... Lol

Thanks, Willie. I've tried Rutlands before but I don't remember the temp rating. I didn't have much luck with 1095, that's why I asked.

Nice knife.

If you want hamons, go with W2 or Aldo's low manganese 1075. Some people (like this one) do quite well with 1095, but I always go for one of those two for hamons.

This blade looks great.

kc

Thanks Kevin! This one is the first one using a heat treat forge I built from a air compressor tank. I even got a thermocouple and everything!

Hope to have update pics in a week or so.

I've never tried 1075. Tried W2 once from the baron. I plan on more in the future.

Thanks, willie

image.jpg

Got it rough ground.....

image.jpg

Done a quick test etch after a 320 grit. It needs a ton of hand sanding proper. I just done a "Quickie" sand and etch to see what's going on.

Thanks, Willie

Dennis, that's a reflection of lattice in the blade. The blade was wet with vinegar and was reflecting everything under the sun so to speak. You may have given me a idea for a clay layout for the next one though.

image.jpg

Word of advice, don't leave you're blade in overnight in vinegar like I did lol.

It got a good deep etch.....

It would look cool on a zombie chopper or other type gnarly blade but not this one.

Edited by Willie
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Dan. Long journey to get it to this point and a long road ahead of me with it. But, I've decided that this blade will be the first to receive my makers mark.

how is this one progressing? I love the shape of the blade and the grinds.

hamon looks good, too!

Progress is slow Kevin. I made a bit of cable mokume but the brass didn't flow well. Ended up with a lot of voids on the billet of mokume. Either the cable wasn't clean enough, to cold going into the molten brass, not enough flux on the cable prior to the dip or I didn't skim enough dross from the brass. Learning this as I go haha. But the tang is tapered and a piece of spalted hickory rough fit for now. Just gotta make a solid bit of mokume for the guard and pommel and it'll ALMOST be done. Cable mokume version 3.0 next week I hope.

image.jpg

Little dash of cable mokume.....

Best mokume I've made so far. Granted, it's not the best mokume made but I made it! I'm so stoked about that! The billet of mokume should have enough to make a guard. The final guard may have a peck or two of "character" but that's ok by me. I'm digging the process.

Thanks, Willie

you are one of the few people I have seen to try and actually dip cable in molten brass to get the desired metal. interesting approach. I can't remember now the name of a guy I have emailed from one of these forums that made a video. He lives over in South Georgia.

brave approach. going to be nice when done.

kc