image.jpg

Thanks yall! I got the guard fit today. This one isn't about pretty and perfect. It's about celebrating the imperfect. Once it's all finished I hope what I've created is understood.

Kevin, I know the video well. You tube, search word cable mokume..... Forge from a old R2 cylinder with castable refractory in the bottom and kaowool in the top. That's the video I got the gumption to make cable mokume a while back! I still need to refine my process but I'm digging what I have so far.

thanks for checking this one out, Willie

image.jpg

I know it's not much of a update but the profile of the guard is roughly shaped and a bit of sharpie added along the sides for a rough idea of the direction I'm planning on going with it.

Thanks, Willie

• 4 weeks later...

image.jpeg

Bad news, the spalted hickory developed a crack! Good news, my Dad to the rescue! Years ago he purchased some wood while he was working in Africa. He gave me a big chunk of ebony! After a long time of sawing with a hand saw and a while with a cold chisel and a 3 lb hammer I was able to get a few pieces. Jointer plainer one side flat, table saw to square all the other sides.

Got the handle drilled, fit and indexing pins set. Rough shaped a bit with a wood rasp. (There's a certain satisfaction shaping by hand). Hit it with a bit of sandpaper and did a quick polish to get a sneak peek of things to come. I'm digging the ebony more than the spalted hickory for sure!

It is still rough shaped and has a long way to go. I just wanted to share my excitement with y'all.

Thanks for looking and advice or words of wisdom is always welcome.

Willie

• 2 weeks later...

that has a nice flair to it. I think it is coming out nice. good end to a lot of hard work.

kc