Some recent knives

I finished this bowie a few weeks ago.

IMG_2471_zpsotkdgey7.jpg

IMG_2473_zpsethazxvc.jpg

Forged from 1080, 10-inch blade with a walnut and leather handle. Definitely my best bowie so far. This was my first blade with a swedge. I was worried about messing up the blade trying to grind it, but it was fairly easy. I roughed it in with a bench grinder and finished it with a file and sandpaper.

IMG_2475_zps0uvtclcd.jpg

I also made this little seax, and a puukko-esque knife with a leather handle over the winter and never got around to posting them.

SANY0016_zpsppyttdst.jpg

puukko%20hunter%201_zpsruwjppzk.jpg

puukko%20hunter%2012_zpscgrjgdul.jpg

Both of these have blades just under 4 inches. The leather handled one was my edc all winter. It looks a little homely, but it's a great cutter. I ended up making a historically incorrect boot sheath for the seax, with a holster clip on it so I could stick it in my engineer boot just for fun. Not the most practical setup for carrying a knife, but a boot seax is pretty nifty.

I like them all, but the bowie is especially nice. It looks a little like some of the ones Don Fogg made. He did some that had handles that were inspired (it seemed to me) by a combination of Japanese swords and historic Sheffield designs for bowies.

Some of the most beautiful knives I have ever seen were made by Don during this period of his work, in fact.

cool bowie.

kc